Bid Manager Waste and Resource Management Team
- Role type
- Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Closing Date
Role: Bid Manager Waste and Resource Management Team
Location: UK Flexible
Role ID: 2023-1730
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a Bid Manager to join our Waste and Resource Management Team.
This exciting new role will be working within our Waste and Resource Management (WaRM) business area. Our professional and dedicated team provides a wide range of consultancy services to public and private sector clients in the waste management industry and has established itself at the forefront of the UK market, with a strong international presence, particularly in the ME. We offer support to clients throughout the value chain, starting with strategy, policy, business case, feasibility and concept, procurement of the solution, through to the technical due diligence, planning and permitting support, engineering and project management services required to develop innovative solutions and infrastructure.
Our focused growth strategy has delivered an exciting pipeline of opportunities that involves us working closely with key clients, who include regulators, investors, developers, local authorities and government bodies within the UK, Middle East and globally. To support this growth, we are currently seeking to expand our friendly and collaborative team to include an experienced bid coordinator to work closely with the Head of WaRM, and to take responsibility for the development and production of high-quality, timely, proposals and bids and manage bid contributions from other team members, including key client account managers, various technical leads and other colleagues with commercial and financial responsibilities.
The bid manager will be responsible for ensuring that our bid management procedures are followed, including seeking appropriate approvals for sign on and sign off. They will also ensure that our bids are compelling, by selling our value and uniqueness, responsive to the client’s requirements, as well as being professionally presented, robust and meet Ricardo’s financial criteria for revenue, labour sales and profit.
In return, we will support the development of your commercial, managerial, people management, and technical skills throughout your career with us. You will be supported throughout your professional development, to ensure you have the support and tools you need to deliver your role to a high quality, and to enable your development into the future. We have successfully implemented this role in several other teams so there is a community of those undertaking this role to support learning, development and the generation of best practice.
This role may suit someone on a flexible or part time working basis.
The bid manager will be expected to lead by example by using bidding best practices and use their initiative to:
- Manage each bid as a project, working closely with various technical leads, key account managers and other colleagues with commercial and financial responsibilities, as appropriate.
- Liaise with senior leaders as necessary to secure decisions on bid strategy and seek their approvals required for sign off.
- Review and critique bid content as it is produced by other contributors. Ensure that the overall document is professionally presented and tells a consistent and clear story that sells our unique value.
- Ensure that all relevant quality and approval processes are followed and documented.
- Ensure proposals are professionally presented and content accurately reflects and meets the customer’s needs.
- Support capture planning, interview preparation and learning reviews as appropriate.
- Maintain and develop key bidding resources such as bidding templates and case studies especially for work streams with high levels of bidding.
- Make themselves familiar with the centralised bidding material available.
- Develop and maintain bidding resources such as templates and case studies.
- Track time-lines and support with progress monitoring and reporting across bids and other business development activities.
- Update entries on Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system.
Skills and Experience
- A proven track record of successfully developing and delivering winning bids to time, quality and budget.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, Power-Point.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Fluent in English.
- Excellent organisational and problem-solving skills.
- Strong time management skills.
- High level of personal initiative.
- Collaborative team player.
- Strong business acumen, commercial and customer-driven mindset.
- Individuals who are pro-active, creative, meticulous, rigorous, and who take pride in the quality of their work.
- Experience or aptitude for following process and procedures.
- Individuals who can assert themselves positively and confidently, as required.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.