Senior/Principal Consultant - Industrial Heat Recovery
- Role type
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and waste expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
The Sustainable Infrastructure & Operations Business Unit (BUs):
The BU’s focus is the decarbonisation of energy and heat supporting the netzero and low carbon agendas. SI&O is made up of ~220 people covering a range of disciplines at the ‘implementation’ end of the client value chain. Within the Sustainable Infrastructure and Operations business unit, we have a dedicated Heat Decarbonisation team, comprising a 30-strong team of engineers, consultants and project managers. This team is at the forefront of delivering heat decarbonisation solutions in the UK and internationally, from working with governments to develop policy, to implementation of low carbon heat solutions in the public and private sectors. As the demand for our services grow, we are seeking to further grow our team and are looking for excellent consultants to add value to our team.
Industrial Heat Recovery
Heat accounts for ~37% of the total UK carbon emissions and the decarbonisation of heat is the greatest challenge facing the UK (and beyond) in its transition to a net zero carbon economy.
Around the world, industrial processes release vast amounts of heat as waste to the atmosphere. Where this heat can be recovered and this does not happen, a significant opportunity to improve process efficiency, reduce costs and even generate new revenue streams is missed. It also needlessly adds to the stock of national emissions. The challenge and opportunity of industrial waste heat recovery is well recognised internationally, and Ricardo are a leading provider of support to customers in this area.
We are looking for people with the relevant practical experience in industry, combined with demonstrable experience and abilities across core consultancy skills, including project management, bid writing and technical project delivery. From a technical perspective, you will have good working knowledge and/or experience of working in an industrial sector, for example the main energy consuming and process emitting processes in Chemicals, Cement, Iron and Steel, Glass, Ceramics, Paper and Board, Automotive and Food and Drink.
We are seeking a Senior or Principal Consultant to work within our team on a wide range of projects to support industry to:
- Identify potential sources of waste heat and candidate sinks.
- Collect and collate data necessary to qualify and quantify the opportunity to recover and re-use waste heat, and establish the technical feasibility for this.
- Advise on recovery technologies available and use our market knowledge to source robust information on capex and opex for technical solutions.
- Develop robust analyses of the likely financial and environmental performance of candidate opportunities.
Other projects may cover assessing and developing policy and guidance relating to the uptake of CHP, low carbon heat options and district heating; auditing programmes to assess compliance, evaluation of technical and economic performance; and feasibility, engineering design and technical and financial due diligence.
The successful candidate will have:
- Excellent core consultancy skills – bid writing, project management, and project delivery
- Strong engineering skills
- Proven experience in technical and economic assessment
- Knowledge and experience of low carbon and renewable heat technologies
- Professional, diligent, and strong attention to detail
- Experienced in the preparation of proposals and, ideally an effective networker and business developer
- Excellent organizational abilities
- Good problem solving skills
- Experience in leading technical teams in project delivery
- A scientific or engineering background
- Experience and/or strong knowledge of industrial processes
- Experience in identifying and implementing waste heat recovery projects in industry
- 4-8+ years experience
- Proven consultancy skills, or applicable skills from industry
- Chartered Mechanical, Chemical or Process engineer (or progressing to Chartership)
- Understanding of government policies related to renewable heat, CHP, heat markets and associated district heating and cooling networks
- Experience in managing large projects and programmes will be advantageous
- You will demonstrate good attention to detail, technical report writing ability and be able to assimilate information quickly
- Experience in client management and proposal writing
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this message by our CEO.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.