Senior Consultant - Independent Assurance
- Role type
- Derby, York
- Closing Date
Position Title: Senior Consultant – Independent Assurance
Department: Ricardo Rail UK
Location: Derby / York
Ricardo Rail are looking to strengthen their team to support the delivery of existing and new projects within Ricardo Certification. The role we are seeking to fill is that of Consultant / Senior Consultant to work within our Rolling Stock and Plant Independent Assurance Team Based in Derby or York.
As an Independent Assurance Senior Consultant, you will be required to review and assess compliance with standards such as EC Directives, TSIs, Railway Group Standards and other related standards of which a working knowledge is required, including testing of railway equipment.
Also, in the role of consultant you will work on the delivery of projects which may not be Independent Assurance focused providing expert advice to the project deliverables and directly to the client as required. Our projects cover the whole project lifecycle including: feasibility studies, procurement, concept design, detailed design, testing, independent assurance, operations and maintenance.
The Senior consultant will be responsible for delivery of technical work as part of an Independent Assurance team specifically for Rolling Stock. Vehicles under Ricardo’s current assurance portfolio are Passenger, Freight, On Track Machine, On Track Plant and Heritage Vehicles.
You will meet and develop relationships with key engineering leaders and rail decision makers as well as enhancing your own technical capabilities. In undertaking this client facing role, you will be expected to combine sound engineering knowledge and judgement, with excellent communication skills, to deliver technical service to clients and Ricardo Rail projects.
- To bid, win and deliver projects.
- Work with clients to understand ultimate objectives and desired outcomes for each project.
- As part of a team, lead and deliver specific work packages to quality, time and budget.
- Manage projects and deliver work-streams, taking direction from the Project Director when required.
- Ensure that the work scope of work and time budgets are clear, monitored and managed, and that risks to delivering to quality, on time and within budget against acceptance criteria are anticipated and managed.
- Assist in delivery of assurance projects with responsibility for delivering to timescale, quality and budget and manage the client relationship.
- Support recommendations for placing completed systems into service.
- Representing Ricardo Rail at industry events and committees.
- Maintaining your own competence and knowledge at the forefront of the railway assurance industry.
- Providing guidance to projects on the EC Directive requirements, Railway Interoperability Regulations and associated TSIs.
- Undertaking safety risk assessment/safety risk management in accordance with the European Common Safety Method on risk evaluation and assessment and other recognised processes.
- Undertaking independent safety assessment (ISA), assessment body (AsBo), Notified Body (NoBo), Designated Body (DeBo) and other independent verification/competent person activities in the UK and overseas.
- Liaison with clients, regulatory bodies and other project stakeholders.
Technical expertise & skills required:
- Demonstratable experience of leading Assurance activities as a Lead NoBo / DeBo and/or AsBo assessor.
- Experience in providing consultancy in the field of passenger, freight rolling stock or Plant.
- Safety Management / Risk Assessments.
- General RAMS knowledge.
- Proven experience of project management, successful delivery throughout the full project lifecycle.
- Proven experience of populating relevant pipeline.
- Ability to write and champion through lifecycle, high value bids.
- A working knowledge of relevant standards.
- Strong skills in Excel and other analytic packages.
- Good knowledge of UK rail industry.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate with many audiences.
- Degree or equivalent technical qualification, with experience in a relevant engineering discipline.
- Chartered Engineer or actively working towards Chartership of a recognised Professional Engineering Body is preferred but not essential.
Ricardo is a global strategic, technical and environmental consultancy and specialist niche manufacturer of high performance products. We also provide independent assurance services in the rail sector. With a century of delivering excellence and innovation, we employ over 2,500 professional engineers, consultants and scientists world-wide.
Our activities cover a range of market sectors including passenger car, commercial vehicle, rail, defence, motorsport, motorcycle, off-highway, marine, clean energy and power generation.
Our client list includes the world’s major transportation original equipment manufacturers, supply chain organisations, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Ricardo Rail is a global multi-disciplinary rail consultancy providing services in expert advice and independent assurance across the UK, Europe, Middle East , Asia and Australia where we employ c500 consultants working on rolling stock, infrastructure and independent assurance projects.
Our UK Rail business employs consultants in offices in London, Preston, York, Bristol and Derby, which is our head office.
We provide Consultancy and Certification services across rail infrastructure and rolling stock projects to clients including infrastructure managers, train manufactures, equipment manufacturers and maintainers.
Our shared goal is to be the natural choice provider of expert advice and independent assurance services to the global rail industry. Care, integrity and excellence will always drive our long-term relationships with clients and colleagues.