Team Leader - Design and Engineering
- Role type
- Closing Date
Ricardo Rail UK
Role Profile: Team Leader - Design & Engineering
Reports to (Title): Business Manager
Manage the delivery of a delegated part of the service area(s) of the relevant Business Manager.
To support the Business Manager in delivering their business performance objectives, delegated by the BM as required and where appropriate.
To line manage the members of a particular team, working with the Business Manager to allocate appropriate colleagues to projects effectively and ensure that people deliver work to the expected standards
Responsible for the development and coaching of the team.
- Create a high performing team in their delegated part of the Service Area through effective coaching, mentoring, performance and competence development.
- Proactively manage employee performance through constant feedback and annual ePDR process; ensure aspirations are considered and tangible objectives set.
- Ensure their team delivers to agreed performance targets, team and individual objectives.
- Ensure their team has targeted learning and development programme with specific focus on increasing skills in the given function.
- To develop and market the offering of the team, in co-ordination with the Business Manager and the Business Development Manager.
- To plan and develop Sales/Revenue budget for the function
- Support bidding activities with technical expertise, customer presentations, support in proposal writing where required and act as project manager where deemed appropriate by the Business Manager.
- Identify and bring forward opportunities arising from delivery of current customer projects.
- Ensuring correct allocation of resources by liaising with the Business Manager to allocate appropriate colleagues to projects effectively, maximising utilisation and ensure that people deliver work (proposals and assignments) to the expected standards.
- Identify resource conflicts and implement appropriate solutions. Escalate to the Business Manager as appropriate.
- Deliver team utilisation targets and proactively manage over and under-utilisation via effective consultation with other Team Leaders and Business Managers.
- To recruit and staff the team in line with budget requirements including supporting hiring process through drafting of role profiles, candidate reviews, interviews etc.
- Support team members to ensure high technical standards and meet client requirements and make sure technical processes are met to ensure consistent technical delivery.
- Identify and bring forward ideas for innovation in products and services and motivate their team to do the same.
- Actively contribute to optimising operational processes.
- Ensure that they and their team members are aware of and adhere to Ricardo policies, processes and procedures; operational as well as Health, Safety and Environmental and Security Awareness.
Key Relationships & Stakeholders
Business Manager, Business Development Managers, HR, PM’s.
- Technically credible (must possess a relevant technical degree) with demonstrable experience in a technical role.
- Drives delivery by creating high performing teams, inspiring them and sharing their success.
- Open, honest, trusted and with a high degree of integrity.
- A team player, who can engage with people and cultivate relationships across all levels both inside and outside Ricardo Rail.
- A good communicator, with well developed interpersonal skills, adopts a consultative approach, and is able to show empathy and who secures buy in through effective influencing skills.
- Well organised, and able to identify and deliver key activities/ projects to improve business performance and to gather and co-ordinate information from different sources.
- Previous experience of managing teams would be an advantage.
For further information or to make an application please contact Donna.Baker@ricardo.com quoting the job reference number above.