Software Sales Manager
- Role type
- Full time, Permanent
- London, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
- Closing Date
The start date for this role would not be until July 2019.
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Ricardo Energy & Environment is split up into six different practice areas, with different areas of consultative specialism and expertise. The intention is to recruit within the Technologies, Tools & Solutions (TTS) business area, which contains our software development and product area. Here, we work closely with subject matter specialists and world renowned experts across the wider business to develop software platforms to meet the needs of their customers, and then bring these to specific markets.
Ricardo’s digital solutions, products and services are fundamental in helping our business grow and adapt whilst fulfil evolving customer requirements. The Digital Solutions team work in collaboration with Ricardo’s wide range of internationally recognised experts and scientists, creating new and innovative solutions to tackle some of the world’s most pressing challenges.
Examples of our work include:
Enterprise grade software applications that consist of real-time data collection, ratification and dynamic reporting features for national and international air quality and energy management systems that have been developed by our Digital Services team from the ground up.
Workflow data management systems that have helped improve the efficiency and operation of large scale programmes for clients including Ofgem, Big Lottery and Department for Transport
Industry leading emergency response solutions, for the National Chemical Emergency Centre. Our software helps telephone emergency responders to quickly identify the correct procedure to be followed in the event of an incident involving hazardous materials, helping customers and the emergency services to save lives 24/7/365.
Our clients include public and private sector and international organisations, Governments and NGO’s. An excellent base to build from.
Ricardo Energy & Environment continues to grow, with support from our parent company Ricardo PLC, and is in an exciting mode of change from a sales perspective, as we look to grow and expand our sales capability across the organisation in order to support product areas and business areas where the capacity to conduct professional sales may be limited.
Ricardo Energy & Environment is seeking an experienced consultative sales professional to conduct sales and develop new revenue streams with existing software products, as well as identifying requirements for product development within the market. The individual will be responsible for their own direct sales to new customers, identifying opportunities and developing senior level customer relations with an environmental and energy focus. This is a pure ‘hunting’ role where the individual will be responsible for searching out opportunities in large target multinationals and potentially public-sector organisations from a variety of sectors, in line with the business strategy.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of establishing high levels of sales leads and managing opportunities for software products through the entire sales cycle and securing a profitable order (demonstrable with key performance metrics at interview). You will have the ability to understand and explain our services to technical and risk focused personnel and C-level decision makers, and develop compelling solutions tailored to their needs.
Developing new customers
- Design and implement a sales plan that uses the existing product suite and increases the current market presence.
- Focus on developing new business sales for the Ricardo Energy & Environment software portfolio, identifying sales opportunities within a wide range of companies across multiple sectors in the UK and overseas.
- Establish and maintain existing relationships at senior levels within the target customer base.
- Work with the Communications and Engagement team to determine sales and marketing strategies for product areas and / or sector areas to maximise approaches to market, which may include: direct prospecting, events attendance, engaging with publications and trading associations, designing and hosting webinars, etc.
Liaising with subject matter experts across the business
- Establish internal relationships with consultants across the wider Ricardo Energy & Environment business to support their sales and business development strategies.
- Work closely with the digital services lead, who currently owns the customer relationships, and who has responsibility for delivering the sales outcomes.
- Work closely with the development and delivery teams to ensure clear communication of customer requirements and match this to implementation capacity.
- Contribute to identifying new offerings and market requirements that the business can develop and sell to existing or new customers through established/ new channels.
- Maintain the Ricardo premium brand and strong track record of delivering customer excellence.
- Identifying and communicating intelligence on market requirements and opportunities
- Liaising with marketing and sales personnel to ensure effective promotion of our capabilities in support of sales activities to grow our accounts
- Creating profitable customer solutions.
Management of sales funnel and activity.
- Proactively creating and managing a funnel of ~50 opportunities, achieving 75% forecasting accuracy.
- Optimising the use of a range of tools and techniques to ensure the consistency and professionalism of the day-to-day activities lead to positive results in the achievement of our goals.
- To deliver high levels of outbound calling and face-to-face meetings to maximize sales targets.
This is an exciting opportunity for a professional and consultative business development individual looking to enhance their skills further within a rewarding and fast paced environmental consultancy business.
Key competencies and experience:
- Proven experience/ability in new business development/generation across software (SaaS and deployed) products.
- The ability to demonstrate strong pipeline management with strong commercial acumen in order to generate and close business
- Professional business manner and working practice, able to set an example for the rest of the business who do not have sales experience.
- Capability and willingness to be self-sufficient in prospect generation, with support from the wider team, including marketing to supplement their own activity.
- Positive engagement with customers, partners and colleagues in pursuit of successful sales outcomes
- High levels of drive and commitment no matter what the challenge
- Be a self-starter, problem solver with the ability to make ideas reality
- Proven and demonstrable track record of hitting and achieving sales targets, and processing prospects through the entire sales cycle.
- Able to adapt and adjust their approach in order to take advantage of the tools and systems used to maximise the disciplined performance of the Ricardo Energy & Environment team
- Ability to network successfully within the organisation, to make connections with key resources and experts across the business to achieve their business development objectives.
- Relevant experience in the environmental or energy sectors
- Experience in software sales from a consultative perspective
- Experience in working within an consultative environment
- Experience in product development to achieve customer requirements
Skills and behaviours:
- Highly organised with effective prioritisation skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills across all levels.
- Positive response to feedback and stakeholder engagement
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.