Principal Waste Consultant
- Role type
- Oxfordshire (Harwell), London, Bristol, Manchester
- Closing Date
Role Title: Principal Waste Consultant
Flexible: Harwell / London / Manchester/ Bristol (or Home based)
Salary: £45,000 - £66,000
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a Principal Waste Consultant to join our Waste Team.
Our Waste and Resource Management Team has an excellent opportunity for an experienced consultant to steer our strategic support to government, local authority and private sector clients in the UK and internationally. We are looking for an applicant to complement and expand our energetic team, supporting the growth of our strategic advisory portfolio. This is a customer facing role and the person we are looking for will build on their experience in the sector to undertake networking and business development activities and will share their market knowledge with our clients and team.
Our team provides advice through policy support, waste strategy development, service design and delivery, helping to create the business case for service change, defining data requirements and collection methodologies, modelling and benchmarking the performance of waste collection and treatment systems and facilitating national, regional and local waste workshops and training courses. Our focus is on helping clients to solve problems and developing their capabilities to continue beyond the end of our commission. We continue to help our clients achieve substantial savings and balance environmental, social and economic pressures whether it be on-site or in the board room.
A particular focus will be provision of advice, helping clients to develop and implement of long-term resource and waste management strategies, to navigate the changing global and national resource management picture.
The role will involve:
- Developing and delivering resources and waste strategies for UK and global clients
- Delivering options appraisal, feasibility study, business case development, partnership working and procurement projects
- Providing support to senior managers in the waste industry, particularly Local Authorities and waste management companies
- Opportunities to travel and support our growing international portfolio, particularly in the Middle East.
- Project Management of projects ranging from £20k-250k
- Project Direction
- Responsible for the quality of own work and the work of others, both written and in spreadsheet form
- Quality assurance and technical review of project work undertaken by others in your team
- Client management, interpreting client expectations into successful project delivery
- Engaging with clients to understand their needs and helping identify and qualify opportunities
- Contributing toward the process of winning new business, through networks and relationships, including writing proposals and attending conferences and events and managing tender responses
- Reporting to the Team Leader for the Strategic Waste Operations Team
Key competencies and experience:
- Experienced consultant or experience in a similar environment.
- Project management and delivery, including management of more junior staff and sub-contractors.
- Knowledgeable about waste markets and the changing policy landscape, key players, service models, technologies.
- Experience of developing and delivering resources and waste strategies at an organisational, municipal or national level.
- Demonstrable interest in own professional development.
- Curiosity and interest in problem solving and system improvement.
- Ability to interpret complex issues and data, and identify solutions quickly.
- Ability to make use of existing client relationships and networks to identify and capitalise on market and client opportunities.
- Ability to present technical information to a non-technical audience and communicate clearly with our clients at all levels.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to present at and facilitate client workshops, seminars etc, as well as being accessible, approachable, and flexible with the team.
- A high level of numeracy and a talent for numerical analysis.
- Ability to write clear, concise and accurate reports, which are tailored to the audience.
- Experience of international waste management policy.
- Experience with circular economy and carbon policy.
- The ability and willingness to travel for short periods, as required.
- An interest in the wellbeing and development of colleagues and the ability to build rapport and develop trust with team members.
- Member of an accredited body.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.