Symfony backend developer
- Role type
- Oxfordshire (Harwell), Bristol
- Closing Date
Role: Symfony backend developer
Location: Harwell, Didcot, Oxfordshire
Salary range: £40,000 - £50,000
Role ID: 2022-1576
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for an Symfony backend developer to join our Digital Services team.
We are looking for someone with a strong background in PHP and industry-leading MVC frameworks who can help us build and support data-intensive web applications for our public and private sector clients. The successful candidate will be an accomplished developer who is comfortable working on a portfolio of projects, both supporting and enhancing existing applications as well as creating new systems in teams and alone on smaller projects.
Our ideal candidate will relish developing challenging complex solutions, have excellent organisational skills and be an enthusiastic contributor to our team.
As part of the team you will have opportunities to work on a wide variety of digital projects and technically challenging work. Examples of our work include:
- Enterprise grade bespoke software applications for real-time data collection, processing, ratification and reporting for national and international air quality and energy management systems. Software developed by our Digital Services team from the ground up.
- Web based data management systems that have helped improve the efficiency and operation of large-scale programmes for clients including Ofgem, Big Lottery and Department for Transport
- Industry leading emergency response solutions, for the National Chemical Emergency Centre. Our software helps emergency responders to quickly identify the correct procedure to be followed in the event of an incident involving hazardous materials, helping customers and the emergency services to save lives 24/7/365.
- Scenario modelling software that helps UK Government make critical environmental policy decisions
Key competencies and experience
- 3+ years’ experience in OOP PHP ≥ 7
- 3+ years' commercial experience using an MVC framework (prefer Symfony, others such as Laravel/ Zend will be considered)
- Understanding of Relational Databases
- Understanding of RESTful API principles
- SOLID development principles
- Version control tools (preferably Git and GitLab)
- Working collaboratively with software and non-software professionals
- Jira or similar task and issue management software
- Agile development practices (Scrum/Kanban/Lean)
Commercial experience in any or all of the following will be a distinct advantage
- MySQL, MariaDB and PostgreSQL databases
- API Platform – REST and GraphQL framework
- Doctrine ORM and relational database design
- Understanding basics of Kubernetes /Containerisation
- System architecture (including SOA/microservices)
- Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Commercial product development
- jQuery, VueJS, ReactJS
- R, Python
- Drupal 8
- GIS related experience desired
Skills and behaviours
- Passion, motivation and adaptable to learn and apply new technologies when required
- Well organised, with the ability to deliver high quality code
- Works well with others, with good face-to-face communication skills
- A commercial aptitude with an appreciation of business drivers and customer expectations
- Ability to take ownership for a development project and pro-actively engage project teams
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.