Middle East Waste Infrastructure Lead
- Role type
- Closing Date
Role: Middle East Waste Infrastructure Lead
Location: Saudi Arabia
Role ID: 2022-1555
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a Middle East Waste Infrastructure Lead to join our Waste team.
Our Waste and Resource Management practice provides a wide range of consultancy services to the waste management industry. One of our key disciplines is waste infrastructure advisory, providing technical advice ranging from feasibility studies and due diligence through to client representative and owners engineering roles for our valued clients. We specialise in a range of waste treatment techniques from established processes through to emerging technologies utilising thermal, biological and mechanical separation to minimise waste and extract value wherever possible. Our team has established itself at the forefront of the UK market and has developed a strong international presence.
This is a new role, to reflect our ambitions to expand our team’s presence in the Middle East to provide our clients with local support on the regions ever expanding pipeline of projects.
A particular focus will be supporting clients through the infrastructure development process from initial feasibility and concept development through to the supervision of construction and handover. In this role, you may be expected to get involved in a broad range of projects covering thermal, mechanical, biological and chemical treatment.
Key support to clients will include:
- Pre-procurement support, including input into the development of business cases, needs assessments and feasibility;
- Due diligence for development projects and operational assets;
- Production of technical specifications and documentation;
- Bidding for new projects and opportunities; and
- Project Engineer / Owner’s Engineer / LTA / Process Design Engineer for various facilities.
You will join our team of recognised industry experts with a range of backgrounds and specialisms, providing tailored technical, market, commercial and regulatory support to private and public sector clients in the UK and around the world.
Key accountabilities may include:
- Project management and / or project director role
- Client management, interpreting client expectations into successful project delivery
- Spend a significant amount of your time based in clients offices
- Lead on the provision of technical advice relating to treatment processes with support from other technical specialists
- Lead on technical due diligence studies in relation to waste treatment processes.
- Act as technical advisor to a range of public and private organisations regarding the delivery of waste infrastructure.
- Production of feasibility and scoping studies to assist clients in making financial investment decisions
- Produce basis of design documentation to assist procurement services.
- Ensure that designs meet health and safety requirements, legislative requirements, established industry “Best Practice”, user requirements, cost limits and time scales.
- Producing, reviewing, verifying and approving technical specifications, assessing tender returns and providing technical support to those packages throughout the design, construction, installation, commissioning, operation and decommissioning phases of the project to ensure that the design intent is maintained.
- Managing the work and task of junior engineers.
- Ensure cross discipline collaboration with other internal and external engineers.
- Monitor and comment on sub-contractors work as may be required on individual projects.
Key competencies and experience
- Understand waste infrastructure investment opportunities and risks for recycling, recovery and thermal treatment facilities;
- Understand the waste infrastructure and policy landscape, market drivers and dynamics in the Middle East;
- Have a clear appreciation of, and ability to interpret, waste market information and data sources, including investment drivers
- Qualified chartered engineer with broad technical capabilities in the field of waste treatment processes.
- Able to critically analyse design, manufacturing and technical engineering matters to bring them to conclusion.
- Be able to identify market opportunities and build and grow existing client base
- Good report writing skills
- Ability to mentor and support the development of junior engineers.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, attention to detail and desire to deliver influential consultancy support to the highest standards with new and current clients.
- Able to communicate concise and accurate technical information in both written and verbal forms.
- Experience in a similar environment.
- Consultancy experience
- Previous involvement and extensive experience in site-based engineering projects in the Middle East (preferably in the waste treatment sector).
- Experienced in delivering technical due diligence assessments for Clients (such as developers/funders)
- Have a desire to be market facing and act as the Ricardo Middle East lead in infrastructure
- Good commercial acumen with experience of different forms of contract.
- Fluent in Arabic (Preferred)
Skills and behaviours
- Commercially minded technical consultant.
- Receptive to new and varied challenges, and able to rise to them and to learn.
- Able to work independently and as part of a project team, irrespective of position or role on the task.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy and quality in all work.
- Good time management.
- Able to meet (multiple) deadlines and manage and deliver competing priorities.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and to ensure an inclusive culture, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.