Waste Management - Data Modelling
- Role type
- Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Flexible, UK, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
- Closing Date
Role Title: Senior / Principal Consultant – Data / Modelling
Flexible - Harwell / London / Manchester/ Bristol (Office or Home based)
Salary: £35,000 - £60,000
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our clients to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Our team provide strategic advice on waste strategy development, service design and delivery, helping to create the business case for service change, defining data requirements and collection methodologies, modelling and benchmarking the performance of waste collection and treatment systems and facilitating national, regional and local waste workshops and training courses.
Our focus is on helping clients to solve problems and developing their capabilities to continue to solve problems after our commission has ended. We continue to help our clients achieve substantial savings and balance environmental, social and economic pressures whether it be on-site or in the board room.
We are looking for an experienced senior/principal consultant with sufficient knowledge of the waste sector and consultancy to project manage and technically review projects with a waste data/modelling focus. The main purpose and other important aspects of the team is to deliver evidence-based analysis to support decision makers in the waste industry. You will be:
- Analysing and manipulating waste data to support a wide range of waste management and circular economy projects
- Working across the whole Resources and Waste Management Team project portfolio, with an initial focus on strategic and operational support relating to local authority waste and recycling collections and infrastructure
- Providing support to key decision makers in the waste industry, particularly, Local Authorities and waste management companies
- Supporting and delivering projects in data analysis and options modelling
- Helping develop new business through client relationships and leading tender responses
- Leading and supervise projects, and act as a technical quality checker for models developed by other team members.
- Working on projects such as service reviews, options assessments, strategy development and procurement support
- Exposed to opportunities to work on our growing international portfolio, particularly in the Middle East and Australia
- Project Direction or Project Management
- Technical review of project work undertaken by others
- Reporting to the Business Area Manager, Project Director or Project Manager on a project-by-project basis
- Responsible for the quality of own work and the work of others, both written and in spreadsheet form
- Tasks to be delivered to time and within budget
- Expected to contribute towards the process of winning new business, through networks and relationships, and including writing proposals and attending events
Key competencies and experience:
- An ability to process and understand waste related data to enable its use as part of a project/model
- A high level of numeracy and a talent for numerical analysis
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel
- Experience of undertaking modelling and service reviews, option assessments, strategy development and procurement support
- Ability to interpret complex issues and data, and identify solutions quickly
- Comfortable developing, using and reviewing waste related models, predominantly in Excel i.e. wasteflows, collection/resourcing models, option analysis/costing, etc
- Knowledgeable about the UK waste market and the key players, service models and technologies
- Experience with carbon impact assessments, LCA and WRATE would be beneficial
- Must be able to conduct and analyse appropriately referenced research with minimal guidance, and arrive at well-reasoned conclusions from its analysis
- Ability to write clear, concise and accurate technical reports; and
- Project management and delivery including management of more junior staff and sub-contractors
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
We are always keen to hear from people who have drive, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking. Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusive approach as explained here.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.