Senior/Principal Consultant, Resource Efficiency and Waste Management
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Flexible, London, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
Do you want to work for a leading international environmental consultancy in a growing specialist team?
This is an opportunity to join Ricardo Energy & Environment’s Resources and Waste Management Team delivering evidence based analysis to support decision makers in the waste industry. Our Team is passionate about providing a world fit for the future through collaboration, technical expertise and strong leadership.
We work with clients in both the public and private sector in the UK and internationally. Our team provide strategic advice on waste strategy development, service design and delivery, helping to create the business case for service change, defining data requirements and collection methodologies, modelling and benchmarking the performance of waste collection and treatment systems and facilitating national, regional and local waste workshops and training courses.
We provide inspirational leadership and big picture thinking to clients, challenging assumptions, engaging with key stakeholders, officers and elected members, driving forward decisions and project conclusions. Our work is led by our knowledge leaders who are acknowledged specialists in their field, regularly presenting at conferences and events. Most recently our advice has focused on delivering circular economy solutions, implementing national policies, improving recycling rates, reducing contamination and meeting climate emergency objectives within constrained government budgets.
Our specialist team includes internationally recognised experts who, by working alongside key stakeholders, partners and clients, provide tailored support, solutions and guidance to address complex environmental and economic concerns. Our focus is on helping clients to solve problems and developing their capabilities to continue to solve problems after our commission has ended. We strive to always be the consultant of choice in our sectors. We continue to help our clients achieve substantial savings and balance environmental, social and economic pressures whether it be on-site or in the board room. Our track record of successful delivery and long-term appointments by major clients speaks for itself in terms of our commitment to quality and consistency in our delivery. Today, we are taking our market-leading knowledge to all parts of the world and are expanding our teams accordingly.
We are looking for an experienced senior/principal consultant with sufficient knowledge of the waste sector and consultancy to project manage and technically review projects with a waste data/modelling focus. You will have the ability to analyse and manipulate waste data to support a wide range of waste management and circular economy projects. There will be opportunities to work across the whole Resources and Waste Management Team project portfolio, with an initial focus on waste operations. This role will provide support to key decision makers in the waste industry, particularly, Local Authorities and waste management companies. The position is well suited to individuals who enjoy evidence-based problem solving.
Typical projects are service reviews, options assessments, strategy development and procurement support. Your role will involve all aspects of supporting and delivering these projects, in particular data analysis and options modelling.
You will be responsible for helping develop new business through client relationships and leading tender responses. You will be expected to lead and supervise projects, and act as a technical quality checker for models developed by other team members. Although focused initially on UK work there will be opportunities to work on our growing international portfolio, particularly in the Middle East and Australia.
- Project Direction or Project Management;
- Technical review of project work undertaken by others;
- Reporting to the Business Area Manager, Project Director or Project Manager on a project by project basis;
- Responsible for the quality of own work and the work of others, both written and in spreadsheet form;
- Tasks to be delivered to time and within budget;
- Expected to contribute towards the process of winning new business, through networks and relationships, and including writing proposals and attending events.
Key competencies and experience:
- An ability to process and understand waste related data to enable its use as part of a project/model;
- Comfortable developing, using and reviewing waste related models, predominantly in Excel i.e. massflows, collection/resourcing models, option analysis/costing, etc;
- Knowledgeable about the UK waste market and the key players, service models and technologies;
- Experience of undertaking modelling and service reviews, option assessments, strategy development and procurement support;
- Experience with carbon impact assessments, LCA and WRATE would be beneficial;
- Must be able to conduct and analyze appropriately referenced research with minimal guidance, and arrive at well-reasoned conclusions from its analysis;
- Ability to interpret complex issues and data, and identify solutions quickly;
- Ability to write clear, concise and accurate technical reports; and
- Project management and delivery including management of more junior staff and sub-contractors.
Skills and behaviours:
- A high level of numeracy and a talent for numerical analysis;
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel;
- Project/task management to ensure clients’ needs are met;
- Lead client meetings, achieving successful outcomes;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a project team in delivering high quality work;
- High attention to detail and accuracy in all work;
- Good time management;
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines.
- Preferably, familiar with consultancy and the discipline of booking time to projects.
What we offer
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this message by our CEO.
Salary: Up to £50,000 per annum plus benefits