Senior Project Manager - Climate Change and Energy
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Flexible, Home based, London, Madrid, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
- Closing Date
Role Title: Senior Project Manager - Climate Change and Energy Policy
Location: London, Harwell (Oxfordshire), Manchester, Madrid, Homeworking
Salary: £35-55,000 depending on experience
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
We have an opportunity for a Principal Consultant to support project delivery and business development within our Policy, Strategy and Economics Practice. We are one of Europe’s leading consultancies supporting the UK Government, the European Commission, international governments and international bodies such as the Asian Development Bank, GIZ and the World Bank in the development, implementation and appraisal of climate change policy.
You will work within a team that wins and delivers a wide range of projects covering climate change and energy efficiency policy development. This includes policy design, impact assessment and evaluation, as well as detailed technical analysis on the future of decarbonisation technologies and the impacts of policies on businesses in terms of investment, trade and competition.
We are looking for a candidate whose key strength is the management of complex policy projects, preferably for the European Commission or other similar clients. Your work will involve project management, technical delivery and business development activities including competitive bidding, client and partner relationship management. Many of our projects are complex multidisciplinary studies often involving several partner organisations and challenging logistical aspects, such as the organisation of workshops or training events overseas – we require candidates with some experience managing such projects. You will work flexibly within Ricardo Energy & Environment’s consultancy business, collaborating with specialists in fields such as energy systems and transport policy.
We are looking for a senior project manager to join our dynamic team. You will lead high profile projects that play an integral role in driving regulatory approaches predominatly for the European Comission but also for the UK and worldwide governments. in which you coordinate the involvement of other Ricardo technical experts and manage the involvement of partner organisations.
You will have the capability to work across the project life cycle, from early stage prospecting through bidding and the successful delivery of projects. You will have a strong commercial awareness and energy and enthusiasm for growing the business in your technical area. Ideally, you will have experience in leading or working on proposals and projects for clients such as, the European Commission national governments, and development banks.
The role is a mid to high-level position with responsibility for:
- Leading the delivery of large complex projects or tasks within such projects. Responsibility for client satisfaction, timely delivery, coordination of partner inputs, project financial management and ensuring high-quality outputs.
- Leading, managing and contributing to complex proposals.
- Development and maintenance of close client and partner relationships at high level to support the winning of new business.
- Carrying out detailed technical work to contribute to high quality project delivery.
- Leading and participating in capacity building activities including workshop facilitation and presentation delivery.
- Presenting Ricardo Energy & Environment’s work at client meetings and conferences.
Key competencies and experience:
- Educated to at least Bachelor’s degree level specializing in scientific, engineering, environmental, legal or economic fields.
- Candidates must demonstrate sufficient experience to show the required competencies, either through consulting work or in a related area.
- Experience working within multidisciplinary teams, and experience managing complex projects is essential.
- Previous experience managing and working within projects for the European Commission is especially preferred and work for clients such as the UK Government , World Bank, GIZ, EBRD, and Asian Development Bank would be desirable.
Strong understanding of the energy and climate change policy landscape, gained during studies or work experience, in one or more of the following areas:
- EU energy and climate change policy especially the measures under the Energy Efficiency Directive, EU Emissions Trading Directive and the Effort Sharing Regulation.
- International climate change negotiations especially the market mechanisms envisaged under the Paris Agreement.
- UK low carbon initiatives especially the Clean Growth Strategy, Industrial strategy and decarbonisation policy measurers.
Skills and behaviours:
- Strong project management skills with track record in leading complex projects.
- Excellent written and spoken English essential; fluency in other European languages will be an advantage.
- Strong oral and written communication essential, including concise and precise report writing.
- Strong analytical skills essential.
- Good team worker and experienced delegator
- Strong level of commercial awareness and appreciation for project financial management principles
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.
What we offer
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. What sets us apart is our People. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.
If you require any support with your application, please contact email@example.com.