Rail Solutions Engineer - Propulsion
- Role type
- Bristol, Derby, London, Shoreham-by-Sea
- Closing Date
Rail Solutions Engineer - Propulsion
Ricardo is a global strategic, technical and environmental consultancy and specialist niche manufacturer of high performance products. We also provide independent assurance services in the rail sector. With a century of delivering excellence and innovation, we employ over 2,500 professional engineers, consultants and scientists world-wide.
Our activities cover a range of market sectors including passenger car, commercial vehicle, rail, defence, motorsport, motorcycle, off-highway, marine, clean energy and power generation.
Our client list includes the world’s major transportation original equipment manufacturers, supply chain organisations, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
We provide consultancy and independent assurance services including engineering solutions that reduce carbon footprint, systems engineering for rail project delivery, strategy, planning and operational efficiency and asset management and optimisation. We also provide NoBo, DeBo, AsBo and ISA, across infrastructure and rolling stock services.
We are seeking an experienced rail propulsion engineer to support the development of Ricardo’s propulsion expertise.
This person will be the technical interface between the Automotive & Industrial and Rail divisions of Ricardo. They will exploit their knowledge of the Rail propulsion market and the capabilities of the Automotive & Industrial division to win business by developing targeted value add customer propositions.
The person will be knowledgeable in railway traction systems, engines and battery systems and keen to learn about advanced engineering developments from other sectors. They will understand the market, technologies and competitors in this space.
As the interface point between the two divisions this role is vital for the cross-selling of ideas, technology and innovation for the benefit of the whole Ricardo Group.
Key Responisbilities of the Role:
- To be the focal point for communications between the Rail and Automotive & Industrial divisions.
- Jointly responsible for meeting the budgeted revenue targets for Rail sector business – owning and driving lead generation and proposal development and maintaining a pipeline of business opportunities.
- To apply industry knowledge and professional judgement in collating, analysing and synthesising complex information to develop targeted value add customer propositions.
- To produce high quality, technically accurate analysis, reports, designs or other documents in support of client projects within timescales and budgetary requirements.
- To understand and be able to cross sell innovative technologies, putting the right people in touch when required.
- To understand the Rail propulsion market needs and help translate these needs into areas of opportunity for Ricardo and solutions for our clients
- To understand the approaches and value offerings of Ricardo’s competitors in order to evaluate and enhance our competitive position.
- Develop and maintaining a strong client network and key client relationships in the area of propulsion.
- Driving and guiding the Automotive & Industrial service line R&D to deliver the products and solutions needed to take to market in the Rail propulsion sector.
- Maintain an awareness of the latest technology, industry trends, legislation and projects in Rail propulsion.
- Engineering degree level qualification,
- At least 5 years’ experience in Rail Propulsion Systems from either an OEM or Design organisation,
- Have a good understanding of all forms of Rail propulsion system, their applications and demonstrate an understanding of the technology roadmap for propulsion,
- Have a good business awareness and understanding of commercial issues surrounding propulsion
- Project Management experience is desirable,
- Be an excellent communicator
Benefits: Competitive salary, 25 days holiday, pension, life cover, permanent health insurance, private medical insurance and many other fantastic benefits that you can purchase via our flexible benefits scheme.