Business Development Manager - Local Energy Systems
- Role type
- Part time, Permanent, Full time
- London, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a global sustainability consultancy, core to Ricardo Group’s vision of creating a world fit for the future. Our mission is to solve the world’s most pressing energy and environmental challenges. To achieve this, we combine world-leading energy, climate change and environmental expertise with powerful power systems engineering, IT, knowledge management and economics capabilities.
Our business consists of a team of over 400 consultancy staff and we work globally for governments, international agencies, infrastructure operators, regulators and commercial organisations as a leading provider of analysis, advice and sustainable solutions. We also have a track record in leading and delivering major multi-partner transnational programmes.
The Energy Practice
The Energy Practice’s focus is the decarbonisation of energy and we consist of over 65 specialist consultants supporting techno-economic studies, technical auditing, regulatory development, smart grid solutions, carbon management, developing and optimising local energy systems. The practice operates in the following market sectors for public and private organisations:
- Transport Energy Infrastructure
- National Electrical Infrastructure
- National Heat & Cooling Infrastructure
- Local Energy Systems
We are seeking a Business Development Manager with proven experience in:
- Finding and winning consultancy opportunities developing new services for current clients and expanding the offer of current services to new clients
- Delivering year on year improvements in turnover in a consultancy
- Working collaboratively with industry partners to develop new offers to the market
- Understanding the impacts of evolving changes in the UK energy and carbon market, and reacting to market needs
- Working with a delivery team to ensure continued delivery of best in class service.
- Working with a wider business development team to support new opportunities across different business areas and different international markets
You will be responsible for supporting the development of our Local Energy Systems business sector. Leveraging the experience and expertise that Ricardo has in power systems planning, energy and carbon management to deliver year on year increases in turnover and profit.
With involvement in networking, developing leads and winning new business with private and public sector customers, this role will involve creating and supporting campaigns and marketing initiatives, developing propositions and tailoring these for specific private sector markets. As well as identifying requirements for new services within the market, the individual will be responsible for their own direct sales to new customers, identifying opportunities and developing senior level customer relations with an environmental and energy focus.
This is an exciting opportunity for a professional and consultative business development individual looking to enhance their skills further within an innovative and fast paced environmental consultancy business and make a significant impact on the UKs net zero goals.
You will have a proven track record of identifying and converting market opportunities to profitable sales of consulting services. You will have the ability to understand and explain our services to key decision makers, and develop compelling solutions tailored to their needs. You will also be responsible for the following:
- Design and implement a sales plan that uses the existing Energy Practice service offering to increase the current market presence in the UK and overseas.
- Establish and maintain existing relationships at senior levels within the target customer base.
- Establish internal relationships with consultants across the wider Energy Practice and Ricardo Group to support their sales and business development strategies.
- Work closely with the delivery teams to ensure clear communication of customer requirements and match this to implementation capacity.
- Contribute to identifying new offerings and market requirements that the business can develop and sell to existing or new customers through established or new channels.
- Identifying and communicating intelligence on market requirements and opportunities.
- Creating profitable customer solutions.
- Proactive management of sales funnel and activity.
This is an exciting opportunity for a professional and consultative business development individual looking to enhance their skills further within a rewarding and fast paced environmental consultancy business to make a lasting change to the UKs carbon emissions.
Key competencies and experience:
Candidates will have a technical or business background with over 8 years’ relevant experience covering some or all of these areas:
- A detailed knowledge and understanding of the UK energy sector and relevant experience in renewable energy systems infrastructure relating to technical advisory, engineering and project management consultancy.
- Practical experience of implementing low carbon energy systems projects, delivering new assets for private and public sector clients.
- Proven experience/ability in new business development/generation.
- The ability to demonstrate strong pipeline management with strong commercial acumen in order to generate and close business.
- Professional business manner and working practice, able to set an example for colleagues.
- Capability and willingness to be self-sufficient in prospect generation, with support from the wider team, including marketing to supplement their own activity.
- Positive engagement with customers, partners and colleagues in pursuit of successful sales outcomes.
- High levels of drive and commitment; a self-starter, problem solver with the ability to turn ideas into reality.
- Ability to network successfully within the organisation, to make connections with key resources and experts across the business to achieve their business development objectives.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment. In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field.
We would consider applicants for this post on a full time or part time basis, with the option of periodic homeworking. The role will demand both UK and international travel and require a full UK driving licence.
Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.