Digital Railway Consultants / Senior Consultants
- Role type
- Bristol, Derby, London, Preston, York
- Closing Date
Position Title: Digital Railway Consultant/ Senior Consultants
Department: Ricardo Rail UK
Location: Any UK Ricardo Rail office – Derby/ London/ Preston or York
Reporting to: Head of Digital Railway
Ricardo is a global strategic, technical and environmental consultancy and specialist niche manufacturer of high-performance products. We also provide independent assurance services in the rail sector. With a century of delivering excellence and innovation, Ricardo employs over 2,700 professional engineers, consultants and scientists world-wide.
Our activities cover a range of market sectors including passenger car, commercial vehicle, rail, defence, motorsport, motorcycle, off-highway, marine, clean energy and power generation.
Our client list includes the world’s railway operators and infrastructure owners, original equipment manufacturers, supply chain organisations, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion, we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Ricardo Rail is Ricardo’s rail division. It is a 600-person multi-disciplinary railway consultancy providing expert advisory and independent assurance services across the UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia.
Our shared goal is to provide class-leading quality and technical excellence; care and integrity drive our long-term relationships with clients and colleagues.
The UK Rail business employees c120 consultants in offices in London, Preston, York, Bristol and Derby.
We are seeking to appoint several consultants in our Digital Railway consultancy team. This team provides consultancy services to clients who are seeking to improve the efficiency, capacity, safety and value-for-money of their railway assets. We achieve this through both the optimisation of existing systems and the introduction of modern rail control systems to enable extensive automation. Our capabilities and expertise cover the full spectrum of rail control systems including in-cab, conventional and legacy signalling, automated train control on metro and mainline infrastructure, centralised traffic control centres, and communications and information systems.
Accountability / Key Responsibilities
- Act as a source of guidance and expertise both to clients and to colleagues, ensuring a proactive approach is taken to resolving issues and identifying and working around constraints, and demonstrating a consistently high standard of delivery;
- Support the procurement/bidding through technical leadership;
- Develop client feasibility studies to aid business decisions;
- Lead technical management of external interfaces;
- Developing and optimising operational interfaces;
- Preparing and presenting technical publications;
- To comply with Ricardo Rail’s Health and Safety requirements with respect to their personal health and safety and, as manager, to be responsible and accountable within their respective areas for: the management and control of risk, demonstrating visible safety leadership and ensuring implementation of health and safety systems and compliance.
To be successful, you will be able to demonstrate the following.
- Education to degree level in a relevant discipline
- Chartered Engineer, or working towards
- An active member of the appropriate engineering institution(s).
Technical expertise & skills:
- A strong track-record in Digital Railway technologies particularly ETCS, TMS, GSM-R, ATO or CBTC
- An expert understanding of the V-lifecycle and the various disciplines entails in a complex, safety critical environment
- Excellent customer focus and inter-personal skills
- A wide appreciation of all rail disciplines and competencies
- Proven ability to manage and deliver projects on time and to budget
- Proven experience of effective performance management
- Prepared to undergo random drugs and alcohol testing and/or medical screening as required;
- Able to routinely travel to Ricardo offices throughout the UK (and occasionally internationally)
For further information or to make an application please contact Donna.Baker@ricardo.com.