Senior Consultant - Transport Policy
- Role type
- Full time, Part time, Permanent
- London, Madrid, Oxfordshire (Harwell), Utrecht
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy operating across the world. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Ricardo Energy & Environment’s Sustainable Transport team delivers analysis to clients on the major environmental, social and economic challenges facing the transport sector. We provide support to governments to help develop a fully sustainable transport system, including measures to mitigate climate change, improve air quality, cut congestion, improve urban mobility and increase safety. Our work is highly influential and has been used to support development of transport policies around the world.
We are looking for a Senior Consultant to join our dynamic team.
Whilst a previous track record in carrying out transport-related consultancy projects is not essential, a strong interest in transport policy is required. Our work is focused on strategic policy advice covering a very wide range of transport sector issues and plays an integral role in driving regulatory approaches in the UK, Europe and worldwide. Projects are likely to include a combination of quantitative and qualitative analysis, including analysis of policy costs/benefits, stakeholder consultation, survey design/implementation and making policy recommendations. You will use your technical skills to provide insights to support policy development, and to analyse the impact of decisions on the transport system, the economy, the environment and society.
You will have the capacity to work flexibly across a range of thematic areas in transport and will collaborate closely with technical experts in multi-disciplinary teams. You should enjoy solving complex analytical problems and demonstrate exceptional critical thinking skills. The role will also include carrying out stakeholder consultation with industry and government representatives.
You must possess strong verbal and written communication skills, and actively enjoy working on a wide range of topics that may initially be unfamiliar. Ideally you will also have experience in consultancy projects for clients such as the European Commission or the UK Government.
The role is a mid-level position with responsibility for:
- Leading and contributing written content and technical analysis for the preparation of reports
- Contributing to the development of proposals for new work
- Carrying out a wide range of stakeholder consultation activities
- Working effectively as team member on a range of projects
Key Competencies and Experience:
- A first or upper second-class BSc (or Masters/PhD)
- Previous experience in consultancy is highly desirable. Experience of working on or managing European Commission and/or UK Government consultancy projects in particular is valuable.
- Fluency in English is essential, fluency in other languages is desirable.
Skills and behaviours:
- A previous specialism in transport is not essential, but a strong interest in transport policy is essential.
- Excellent report-writing skills and verbal communication skills
- Effective and proactive team worker, capable of supporting and developing peers and other staff members
- Strong data analysis skills are also desirable (for example, using Excel, R or Python)
The role will be based in our London, Oxfordshire, Madrid or Utrecht offices, depending on the successful candidate’s preference.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.