- Role type
Position Title: Safety/ RAMS Consultant
Department: Ricardo Rail UK
Location: Any Ricardo UK Office/ Hybrid working
Due to continued growth, our UK Ricardo Rail team is looking for talented, ambitious Safety/ RAMS Consultants to support the delivery of existing and new safety engineering projects and who have the potential to become future leaders of the business.
Ideally you will be a Graduate Engineer (with 3-5 years experience) either in risk management, systems engineering and safety engineering or an engineering degree with relevant safety experience.
You will be part of our rapidly growing and dynamic team of experienced safety engineers delivering high quality work to clients, sometimes to demanding timescales.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
We are keen to hear from people who are driven, with ambition and a flair for innovative thinking. Our people are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme. We are committed to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion; we are a signatory of the Women in Rail EDI Charter.
As a safety/ RAMS consultant you will be responsible for delivering safety engineering/ RAMS projects to clients in compliance with relevant international standards such EN50126, EN50129 or IEC 61508 and/or CSM-RA.
You will meet and develop relationships with client project and programme managers and, in many cases, act as the client’s main point of contact for project delivery. In a client facing role, you will be expected to combine sound engineering knowledge and judgement, with excellent communication skills, to deliver a high-quality technical service to clients.
You will also contribute to proposals with novel solutions to technically challenging client needs, drawing upon your formal engineering training and your experience to-date.
As a Safety/ RAM Engineer within a consultancy environment, your key responsibilities relate to bidding, winning and delivering commercially successful projects. In doing so, you will:
- Deliver safety engineering for a wide range of signalling and infrastructure projects to ensure compliance with the CSM-RA and / or relevant standards.
- Undertake hazard identification including the facilitating or secretary of HAZOP / HAZID workshops and being able to self-sufficiently plan, run and write up the workshops.
- Manage risk assessments for specific discipline areas, being able to self-sufficiently plan, run and write up risk workshops.
- Manage a hazard record, analysing hazards, developing safety requirements and assessing compliance evidence to validate their closure.
- Support business development and write proposals. In doing so, identify potential risks, devise method statements, specify clear acceptance criteria, and generate resource and cost estimates.
- Manage and deliver smaller projects, working with clients to understand their objectives and desired outcomes for each project and taking direction from the Project Director when required.
- In doing so, ensure that the scope of work and time budgets are clear, monitored and managed, and that risks to delivering to quality, on time and within budget against acceptance criteria are anticipated and managed.
- For larger projects, take ownership of specific work packages and, as part of a team, deliver these to quality, time and budget.
- Support good commercial outcomes through timely and accurate invoicing against agreed milestones and deliverables.
- Ensure overall client satisfaction targets are met throughout the project lifecycle.
- Liaise with clients, project stakeholders and other industry participants.
Technical expertise & skills required:
We consider it essential that you can demonstrate:
- Experience in engineering safety management and compliance with EU and UK law relating to engineering safety.
- Ability to deliver key safety engineering activities including:
- Decompose a system context from project documentation, read and understand standards and understand key element/interfaces
- undertake qualitative and quantitative assessment of risk
- write well structured, high quality reports with clear objectives and conclusions.
- present safety / compliance arguments to clients, review panels and independent assessment bodies and regulators.
- Capability with tools and techniques such as FMECA, FTA-ETA would be beneficial.
- A strong appreciation of working in a consultancy environment including the need for flexibility and client-satisfaction. This includes understanding client needs and issues, developing requirements and solutions, managing client expectations and delivering high quality outputs. Your experience does not need to be within a consultancy environment.
- Good communication skills, including the capability to engage positively with clients and colleagues as part of a consultancy project team, and to influence decision-makers. This includes the ability to present technical information to customers in clear, complete, concise and unambiguous terms.
- Strong report writing skills, including an ability to tailor your style to meet client requirements and deliver high quality reports with clear objectives and conclusions.
- Ability to deliver on a range of projects to time and budget
Degree or equivalent technical qualification, with experience in a relevant engineering discipline.
Ricardo Group is a global strategic engineering and environmental consultancy that specialises in the transport, energy and scarce resources sectors. We are members of a community of around 2,900 engineers, consultants and scientists providing strategic, technical and niche manufacturing services for a range of sectors including passenger car, motorsport, rail, clean energy and power generation.
Through our multi-industry knowledge and deep technical expertise, we are uniquely positioned to handle our clients’ toughest strategic and operational challenges. In addition to our core technical engineering consultancy services, we support our clients with strategy development, cost reduction, safety management, regulatory compliance and environmental impact assessments.
As part of the wider Ricardo family, the Rail Division provides world-class expertise in critical and complex railway systems. We operate across the UK, Europe, Middle East, Asia and Australasia, employing over 600 consultants working on rolling stock, infrastructure and independent assurance projects. Together we support a client portfolio that ranges from some of the world’s largest rail administrations to niche component suppliers.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success. Our ambition is to work together to promote a more inclusive environment, which attracts all candidates and signals our commitment to celebrate and promote diversity.
Ricardo strives to be a diverse and inclusive place where we can ALL be ourselves. We offer family friendly, flexible working arrangements, with forums and inclusive facilities to support our staff. Ricardo is committed to ensuring there is no discrimination against any job applicant on the grounds of race, colour, nationality or national or ethnic origin, gender or marital status, disability, gender change status or sexual orientation, religion or philosophical belief, political belief, trade union activity or age.
- Great working environment with ability to blend working in office/ at home
- 25 days holiday plus usual bank holidays,
- Buy and sell 5 days holiday,
- Company Pension
- Life Cover
- Permanent Disability Insurance
- Access to Perkbox
- Employee Assistance programme
- Access to private GP services
- LinkedIn Learning
- Ability to purchase flexible benefits such as dental insurance, private medical insurance, cycle to work scheme, medical cash plan, computer lease scheme, lease car etc.