Principal Consultant, Sustainability Strategy and Reporting
- Role type
- Full time, Part time, Flexible Hours
- Closing Date
Role Title: Principal Consultant, Sustainability Strategy and Reporting Uk Based Role
Salary range: Dependent upon experience
Location: London, Glasgow, Oxfordshire, Manchester, Flexible
Do you want to work for a leading international sustainability consultancy in a growing team?
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Our company vision is to create a more sustainable world for the future, which is the driver behind everything we do as a business.
To deliver our vision, over the last 10 years, we have delivered projects that have shaped UK and international government policy to align with achieving net zero carbon emissions, reduced operational costs across the public and private sector through decarbonisation and delivered strategies for large scale carbon reduction in multiple industrial sectors. Our reputation for innovation, passion and integrity in the work we deliver means we are recognised as an organisation that provides high quality advice to our clients.
We know we can bring about positive sustainable change and are looking for someone equally driven to deliver our vision.
Building on the carbon management and net zero support we provide to our clients, we are experiencing an increasing demand for sustainability strategy and reporting services which is outstripping our team’s resources. We are seeking to recruit an experienced principal level consultant to lead and deliver sustainability strategies and reporting/disclosure solutions for our clients. Our unrivalled technical excellence provides clients with greater confidence in decision making and business planning and contributes to global sustainability goals.
Sitting in our established Sustainability business area, part of a 200 person strong ‘Sustainable Infrastructure & Operations’ business unit and the 650 person Ricardo Energy & Environment division, you will be an expert in identifying and engaging with sustainability professionals across the private and public sectors, working with them to deliver a range of sustainability and carbon services we offer.
Your ability to identify and develop opportunities which will raise the profile of the team and the services we provide is important as is the ability to hold strategic conversations at a senior level; assess needs and develop technical propositions and take the clients on their sustainability journey. As a result, you will most likely be working in a consultancy environment, possibly with some in house experience, and you'll be well networked in the sustainability arena.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right person to really help to drive our business forward, building on an already highly successful delivery team. We are looking for a professional and consultative individual looking to enhance their skills further within a rewarding and fast paced environmental consultancy business with the opportunity for excellent career growth.
- Within a collaborative and supportive team of consultants, you will be responsible for winning and delivering projects (mainly with clients in the private sector) on sustainability strategy and reporting and on wider energy and carbon management initiatives. Client liaison, project management and technical delivery will be required from initial client engagement through to provision of final reports. To assist our team, the successful candidate will:
- Be capable of taking over, managing and delivering existing and new energy and carbon management projects.
- Be the client lead for key projects, demonstrating experience of working face-to-face with clients and managing their expectations.
- Undertake a project management role, controlling budgets and timings, and allocating tasks to colleagues as required.
- Liaise with specialist sub-contractors and build relationships internally and externally.
- Input technical expertise to lead energy and carbon management bids.
- Ensure appropriate profile raising and marketing of Ricardo’s services and capabilities.
- Ricardo operates a parallel ‘team leader’ system for pastoral staff management, meaning that you will not initially have any direct line management responsibilities. However, if such line management is of interest to you, we can help you to demonstrate and develop that capability.
Key competencies and experience, you will:
- Have practical career experience and be able to demonstrate relevant technical capability, effective project management and excellent communication skills.
- Have a higher education qualification (Bachelor’s Degree) in an environmental or engineering discipline, or otherwise to have a good track record working in an environmental role, so that you can demonstrate your knowledge.
- Ideally have experience of working in the consultancy sector, to demonstrate that you have the necessary commercial awareness, but we are also interested to talk to candidates currently performing environmental roles directly within industry especially where they have a strong commercial awareness.
- Able to help clients develop and execute strategies to enhance their reporting against sustainability-related reporting and disclosure frameworks / voluntary standards and ratings and rankings in particular: GRI, TCFD, FTSE4Good and CDP.
- Demonstrate technical expertise across the following areas:
- Sustainability strategy development and processes.
- Materiality assessment and gap analysis
- Be able to advise clients on the current and upcoming trends and developments shaping the sustainability / non-financial disclosure landscape – and the organisations driving this agenda (across NGOs, IGOs, ESG ratings and rankings agencies etc.)
- Have a deep understanding of the links between climate change, business risk and value creation.
- Have experience of risk analysis and an understanding of TCFD guidance and/or corporate risk reporting and scenario planning experience would be advantageous.
- Have experience of identifying and developing business opportunities is desirable.
- Need to hold a Full UK Driving licence for this position.
Skills and behaviours, you will demonstrate the following skills and behaviours:
- Analytical skills with ability to identify, develop and implement solutions.
- Excellent writing skills to communicate clearly and without errors – accuracy and attention to detail are vital.
- Strong client and stakeholder communication skills e.g. influencing, negotiation, presentation and relationship management skills.
- Project management skills that demonstrate ability to manage and account for time spent, and to deliver work on time and budget.
- Team working and leadership and ability to coordinate and prioritise activities to ensure delivery of agreed targets.
- Assisting with the development of sustainability thought leadership, our external profile and also with clients.
- High levels of drive and commitment; a self-starter, problem solver with the ability to turn ideas into reality.
- Assisting with mentoring others to support the growth of the Sustainability business area.
- High level of computer literacy, including familiarity with the full Microsoft Office software suite and potentially industry analysis tools.
- A flexible approach – able to see where help is needed and support colleagues as necessary.
- Be comfortable juggling a variety of tasks in a sometimes fast-paced operational environment.
In our sustainability team we really enjoy the great work we do, so we will be looking for someone with a similar attitude – enthusiastic, committed, responsible, open and reliable.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference in the world. What sets us apart is our people. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of project, mentoring and coaching opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our people are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, careers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance Programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this message by our CEO.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.