Environmental Technician - Air Quality and Water
- Role type
- Full time, Permanent
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
The Air Quality & Environment team of over 100 consultants, scientists and engineers develop and apply state-of-the-art tools and techniques to deliver effective solutions to difficult air quality problems. Our team includes knowledge leaders on air quality measurement, inventory development, modelling, exposure assessment, chemical modelling, public health impacts, information management and data visualisation.
Our clients benefit from the full range of air quality services that result in solutions and strategies tailored to addressing challenges at local, city and national scales. We deliver hundreds of projects every year, to public and private sector clients in the UK and overseas, including flagship programmes such as the UK’s national air quality measurement network (AURN), the National Atmospheric Emissions Inventory (NAEI) and the annual national scale air quality modelling assessment on behalf of UK Government.
As a field-based Monitoring Analyst, you will be responsible for ensuring that the continuous monitoring equipment for air pollutants across the UK is providing the correct results and giving reliable measurements of air quality for our customers. This involves the on-site testing and calibration of equipment and subsequent data recording and processing, conducted to strict quality requirements
As part of the role you will be included in an “on-call” rota to deploy Environment Agency emergency air quality monitoring equipment at short notice in response to industrial incidents. This work is as part of a large team and the number of call-outs is infrequent, but it does require 24-7 response if required.
You will also be trained to review and ratify air pollution measurements using our in-house software systems and strict methods prescribed by UK Law and European Directives. It would be an advantage to have an initial understanding of current air pollution problems and legislation aimed to address these issues, although comprehensive training is provided.
In addition to the core air quality role you will also be trained to carry out field surveys for our Water practice, enabling you to gain a broader view of Ricardo projects and expertise.
The work will require significant travel, including several weeks per quarter of extended trips away from the office and up to 4 overnight stays per week.
- Testing, calibrating and documenting performance of air quality monitoring instrumentation across the UK.
- Liaison with site operators to arrange visits.
- Supporting the Environment Agency Emergency Air Quality Incident Response.
- Data processing and reporting.
- Ratification of data for publication on the Defra UK Air Quality website (http://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/) and the Air Quality in Scotland website (http://www.scottishairquality.co.uk/).
Key competencies and experience
- A degree in Physical Sciences or Engineering is an advantage, but not essential; candidates who can demonstrate relevant experience will also be considered.
- Full, clean UK driving licence with solid driving experience - able to drive a Company van.
- Awareness of site safety issues.
- The ability to conduct research, gather and analyse data accurately and methodically.
- IT literacy.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
Skills and behaviours
- Strong communication and team working skills.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills.
- Self-reliance and good problem-solving skills.
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.