Business Development Manager
- Role type
- Bristol, Derby, Home based, London, Preston, York
- Closing Date
Position Title: Business Development Manager
Department: Ricardo Rail UK
Location: Anywhere in UK
Reporting to: Business Manager/ Sales Director
Ricardo is a global strategic, technical and environmental consultancy and specialist niche manufacturer of high performance products. We also provide independent assurance services in the rail sector. With a century of delivering excellence and innovation, Ricardo employs over 2,700 professional engineers, consultants and scientists world-wide.
Our activities cover a range of market sectors including passenger car, commercial vehicle, rail, defence, motorsport, motorcycle, off-highway, marine, clean energy and power generation.
Our client list includes the world’s railway operators and infrastructure owners, original equipment manufacturers, supply chain organisations, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion, we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Ricardo Rail is Ricardo’s rail division. It is a 600-person multi-disciplinary railway consultancy providing expert advisory and independent assurance services across the UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia.
The UK Rail business employees c120 consultants in offices in London, Preston, York, Bristol and Derby.
Due to expansion, Ricardo Rail UK are recruiting for several Business Sales Leads to lead our growth plans and to champion further, our strong brand within in the Rail Industry. As an industry leading Rail consultancy, we are looking to attract experienced Sales professionals with Rail industry experience, who can demonstrate past achievements in developing key stakeholder relationships and who have succeeded in a sales target environment. Due to the immense opportunities within the Rail industry in the UK, and considering the infancy of these roles, these high-profile positions will be both challenging and rewarding roles and will give sales professionals the opportunity to deliver against all the flagship Rail projects within the UK.
Ricardo Rail UK is embarking into an exciting evolution stage, continuing to offer our established professional services, but also to drive new and innovative areas of service to our current, and potential new clients. If you join us, you will become part of a market leading, fast-paced and dedicated team that works together to provide our clients with the highest possible levels of service and advice.
Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Manage the sales and opportunity funnel for all areas within Ricardo Rail.
- Design and implement a strategic business plan that expands the company's customer base and ensures its strong presence within the Rail industry in the UK.
- Maintain close, Client key stakeholder relationships with the overarching objective of building an appreciation of and alignment with the client’s critical business goals, challenges and desired outcomes.
- Develop a new client base to maximise opportunities to deliver across all our service areas.
- Validate that opportunities are a right fit to Ricardo Rail, and that the viability of the opportunity will ensure both sales and commercial success.
- Champion the Ricardo Rail brand within the industry.
- Maintain intelligence on the competition and other key players in our market segments.
- To feed market intelligence back into the organisation for the development of future service offerings and team capability.
- Develop proposals, including technical and commercial aspects, and to lead and co-ordinate larger bids.
- Support the development of proposals.
- As part of team, to provide world class delivery, leading quality and technical excellence, and to drive our long-term relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Maintain and develop your own competence and knowledge.
Qualifications / Experience:
- A strong track-record in sales delivery within the rail sector.
- Proven success in developing client relationships and the development of new business.
- A wide appreciation of all rail disciplines and competencies.
- Experience with building, developing and growing channel life cycles.
- The ability to develop proposals including technical and commercial aspects, and to lead and co-ordinate larger bids.
- Demonstrate experience in value selling and a consultative selling approach.
- Substantial experience of working in a professional services environment.
- A visible passion for the rail industry.
- Versatile and adaptable, able to operate under pressure.
- Effective communication skills, written and verbal.
- Flexibility to travel in the UK and short durations overseas if required.