Senior Aquatic Ecologist
- Role type
- Bristol, London
- Closing Date
- Additional Documentation
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
The Water & Environment practice of Ricardo Energy & Environment offers a comprehensive range of specialist services within the environmental consultancy sector. Nationally and internationally recognised for our expertise in planning and overseeing complex and sensitive projects, our skills have been utilised by a wide range of clients within the public and private sectors including the European Commission, government, water companies and developers.
Our Water & Environment practice has a strong project portfolio and we are looking for an experienced Aquatic Ecologist at Senior Consultant grade to join our team in our London or Bristol office. You will join colleagues in providing technical support on a variety of water management and ecology projects, across a wide range of clients in the water, developer and public sectors. You will be expected to contribute as part of a wider national team, working closely with colleagues in Bristol and London in particular.
- Providing high level technical advice and input into aquatic ecology investigations.
- Undertake, produce and technically review environmental assessments of various activities on aquatic ecology features.
- To work effectively with water companies, developers, design engineers, contractors, planners and other regulators to help achieve positive outcomes for projects.
- Lead a range of bids, including large and complex proposals, including development of bid methodology and presentation at interview.
- Managing a number of projects, or large tasks within projects, to quality, time, budget and customer satisfaction.
- Develop client relationships and follow-on work opportunities as they arise from existing work.
- Contribute to providing robust and innovative solutions to customer problems.
- Mentor more junior colleagues in all aspects of consultancy.
Key competencies and experience:
- Comprehensive understanding and recognition of aquatic ecology features, especially macroinvertebrates but ideally also including fish and macrophytes, with particular focus on the freshwater environment.
- Experience of taking the lead technically on complex aquatic ecology assessments such as used in flow and pollution investigations, Water Framework Directive assessments; appropriate assessments for HRA and significant infrastructure EcIAs.
- Understanding of habitat/ecosystem physical environment pressures in the freshwater environment (e.g. drought, pollution) and aquatic species’ requirements.
- Experience of specifying, planning, risk-assessing and conducting safe field surveys in the freshwater environment.
- A degree in a relevant subject, such as Ecology, Biology or Zoology and ideally a postgraduate degree.
- Experience in supporting the preparation of proposals and tenders.
- Experience with GIS would be an advantage.
- A full UK driver’s license.
Skills and behaviours:
- Excellent team working skills together with strong communication skills and a close attention to detail
- Excellent organisational skills
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated to thrive in this busy and demanding environment.
- Good appreciation of health and safety hazards and responsibilities in aquatic fieldwork.
- Good IT skills in commonly used software, e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.