Senior Systems Engineers - RAMS/ CCS - Rail
- Role type
- Bristol, Derby, London, Preston, York
- Closing Date
Position Title: Senior Consultant – Systems Engineering (CCS)
Department: Ricardo Rail UK
Location: London, Derby, Bristol, Preston or York
Reporting to: Team Leader
The roles we are seeking to fill are that of Systems Engineering Consultants to support our Consultancy, Systems Engineering and Independent Assurance business areas.
You will work on the delivery of projects providing engineering consultancy and safety engineering services to projects and their deliverables and directly to the client as required. Occasional international assignments will be possible. You will apply your engineering expertise and experience to a range of appropriate projects including generic mainline UK signalling and control systems (including ERTMS), metro signalling and control systems (including CBTC) and light rail systems. In addition to this you will also work on the independent assurance side contributing to NoBo, DeBo, AsBo and ISA projects.
You will be required to manage the delivery of your own work and because Ricardo encourages development you will be given the opportunity to work in other areas and as a project manager and manage smaller safety engineering and consultancy projects to timescale, cost and quality.
Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Provide expertise and advice to Ricardo Rail and external clients on good system engineering practice and safety engineering techniques.
- Support and contribute to the delivery of projects, including attending meetings with clients and other stakeholders.
- Develop proposals and undertake business development activities to enhance client relationships and secure further work.
- Project manage small and medium sized projects.
- Interface with other domain experts from other disciplines within Ricardo Rail.
- Contribute to assurance projects (NoBo/DeBo/AsBo/ISA).
- Represent Ricardo Rail at industry events.
- Maintain and develop your own competence and knowledge.
Qualifications / Experience:
- Degree educated in a suitable engineering discipline.
- Chartered Engineer through a relevant professional institution, or able to achieve depending on experience and level.
- Candidates should have experience of one or more of the following areas (system requirements, principles and practice):
Computer-based interlockings and interfaces
Train borne signalling systems (ETCS and/ or CBTC).
Traffic Management Systems
Telecommunication Systems (CIS, Networks, GSM-R)
- Experience of independent assurance, client acceptance roles and the application of safety engineering and risk assessment principles are also highly desirable.
- A good understanding of applicable standards relating to signalling systems including TSIs and UK standards is required.
- Experience of system engineering, safety engineering and risk assessment techniques (Yellow Book, iESM, Common Safety Method on Risk Evaluation and Assessment, EN 50126/9, or equivalent from another industry).
- Experience in UK signalling systems such as:
Traffic Management systems
- Analytical and methodical problem solving.
- A visible passion for the rail industry.
- Versatile and adaptable, able to operate under pressure.
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal.
- Flexibility to travel in the UK and short durations overseas if required.
Ricardo is a global strategic, technical and environmental consultancy and specialist niche manufacturer of high performance products. We also provide independent assurance services in the rail sector. With a century of delivering excellence and innovation, we employ over 2,500 professional engineers, consultants and scientists world-wide.
Our activities cover a range of market sectors including passenger car, commercial vehicle, rail, defence, motorsport, motorcycle, off-highway, marine, clean energy and power generation.
Our client list includes the world’s major transportation original equipment manufacturers, supply chain organisations, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Ricardo Rail is a global multi-disciplinary rail consultancy providing services in expert advice and independent assurance across the UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia where we employ c600 consultants working on infrastructure, rolling stock and independent assurance projects.
Our UK Rail business employs c120 consultants in offices in London, Preston, York, Bristol and Derby, which is our head office.
We provide consultancy and independent assurance services, including NoBo, DeBo, AsBo and ISA, across infrastructure and rolling stock to clients including infrastructure managers, train manufacturers, equipment manufacturers and maintainers.
Our shared goal is to be the natural choice provider of expert advice and independent assurance services to the global rail industry. Care, integrity and excellence will always drive our long-term relationships with clients and colleagues.
Due to continued growth we are now looking to strengthen our signalling and safety engineering capability to help lead the growth of this business area and support the delivery of existing and new projects.