Principal/Senior Consultant - Biomass/Bioenergy
- Role type
- Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Flexible, Glasgow, Guildford, Home based, London, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell), Wantage, Oxfordshire
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a global sustainability consultancy, core to Ricardo Group’s vision of creating a world fit for the future. Our mission is to solve the world’s most pressing energy and environmental challenges. To achieve this, we combine world-leading energy, climate change and environmental expertise with powerful power systems engineering, IT, knowledge management and economics capabilities.
Our business consists of a team of over 400 consultancy staff and we work globally for governments, international agencies, infrastructure operators, regulators and commercial organisations as a leading provider of analysis, advice and sustainable solutions. We also have a track record in leading and delivering major multi-partner transnational programmes.
The Energy Practice:
The Energy Practice’s focus is the decarbonisation of energy and we consist of over 65 specialist consultants supporting techno-economic studies, technical auditing, regulatory development, smart grid solutions, carbon management and optimising local energy systems. The practice operate in the following market sectors for public and private organisations:
- Transport Energy Infrastructure
- National Electrical Infrastructure
- National Heat & Cooling Infrastructure
- Local Energy Systems
The successful applicant will play a leading role in Ricardo meeting a growing demand for services related to decarbonisation of energy from Government and industry in the UK and internationally. The applicant should be familiar with the bioenergy sector and the key players in the market, as well as key factors and risks that impact on biomass development.
The key focus for this senior role will be the following areas: policy support, including assessing and developing policy and guidance in the uptake of bioenergy; biomass supply and sustainability; options for biomass use (including non-energy use); due diligence for funding and feasibility/development and legal work.
Key competencies and experience:
- A mechanical, processes or chemical engineer or scientist with the technical knowledge of biomass supply and use OR a proven track record of bioenergy and biomass supply with a technical knowledge of relevant engineering processes
- Experience in biomass technical feasibility and due diligence
- Strong understanding of biomass supply and use, including fuel characteristics, environmental impact, regulation and prices/costs
- An understanding of government policies relating to biomass, biofuels and heat markets in UK and Europe
- An understanding of how the use of biomass for energy fits into the wider bioeconomy, including sustainability issues and carbon emissions
- Proven experience in energy and climate change policy assessment
- Experience of working in a consultancy or an evaluation team at a utilities company
- Experience in managing large projects and programmes will be advantages
- Extensive experience in client management and proposal writing
- Experience of working oversees would be beneficial
Skills and behaviours:
- Strong analytical skills including engineering and/or technical modelling
- Experienced in the preparation of complex proposals
- An effective networker and business developer
- Effective management skills of large projects and programmes
- Leading multidisciplinary technical teams
- You will demonstrate good attention to detail, technical report writing ability and be able to assimilate information quickly
- Be flexible, proactive, resilient and enthusiastic whilst remotely leading, and working with, the project team and clients
This is a fast-paced and challenging role offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.
We would consider applicants for this post on a full time, 3 day or 4 day per week basis.