Rolling Stock Electrical Systems - Principal / Senior / Consultant
- Role type
- Derby, London, York
- Closing Date
Ricardo is a global strategic, technical and environmental consultancy and specialist niche manufacturer of high performance products. We also provide independent assurance services in the rail sector. With a century of delivering excellence and innovation, we employ over 2,500 professional engineers, consultants and scientists world-wide.
Our activities cover a range of market sectors including passenger car, commercial vehicle, rail, defence, motorsport, motorcycle, off-highway, marine, clean energy and power generation.
Our client list includes the world’s major transportation original equipment manufacturers, supply chain organisations, energy companies, financial institutions and government agencies.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success.
Ricardo Rail is a global multi-disciplinary rail consultancy providing services in expert advice and independent assurance across the UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia where we employ c500 consultants working on rolling stock, infrastructure and independent assurance projects.
Our UK Rail business employs c120 consultants in offices in London, Preston, York, Bristol and Derby.
We provide Consultancy and Certification services across rail infrastructure and rolling stock projects to clients including infrastructure managers, train manufactures, equipment manufacturers and maintainers.
Our shared goal is to be the natural choice provider of expert advice and independent assurance services to the global rail industry. Care, integrity and excellence will always drive our long-term relationships with clients and colleagues.
The role we are seeking to fill is that of an electrical systems consultant to support the delivery of rolling stock projects, these will include fleet consultancy, design and assurance projects.
As a leading consultant you will work on the delivery of projects providing expert advice to the project and directly to the client as required.
As we also undertake assurance work you will be required to review and asses compliance with standards such as EC Directives, Technical Specifications for Interoperability (TSIs), Railway Group Standards and other related standards.
Responsibilities / Accountabilities:
- Work with clients to understand ultimate objectives and desired outcomes for each project.
- As part of a team, lead and deliver specific work packages to quality, time and budget.
- Manage projects and deliver work-streams, taking direction from the Project Director when required. Ensure that the work scope of work and time budgets are clear, monitored and managed, and that risks to delivering to quality, on time and within budget against acceptance criteria are anticipated and managed. Initiate timely and accurate invoicing so that invoicing targets are met. Ensure overall client satisfaction targets are met throughout the project lifecycle.
- Manage and deliver proposals, identifying potential risks, devising the approach, specifying clear acceptance criteria, resourcing and costs.
Qualifications / Experience:
- Engineering Degree qualified
- Chartered Engineer through a relevant engineering institution, or able to achieve
- Ideally you will have experience in electrical systems on a variety of rolling stock types including EMUs, DMUs, locomotives and coaches and systems from heavy current and traction systems to light current auxiliary and control systems and some experience in more than one of the following:
o Electrical Systems (doors, HVAC etc.)
o Control Systems
o Propulsion Systems
o Electrical Machines
o Current collection and distribution
o Protection Systems
o Earthing and Bonding
- Strong skills in Excel and other analytic packages
- Good knowledge of UK rail industry
- Analytical and methodical problem solving.
- A visible passion for the rail industry
- Versatile and adaptable, able to operate under pressure
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal
- Flexibility to travel in the UK and short durations overseas if required