Railway Consultant Engineer
- Role type
- Closing Date
Position Title: Railway Consultant Engineer
Department: Ricardo Certification Iberia
Reporting to: Team Leader
Ricardo Certification Iberia based in Madrid belongs to Riacrdo Rail, a world Class leader delivering engineering services in the rail world. Whilst the work directly contracted to Ricardo Certification Iberia is certification and assessment work ( NoBo, DeBo, ISA, ASBO, etc ), the work for Ricardo more generally can be railway (and sometimes non-railway) consultancy and design, which engineers are encouraged to participate in.
Ricardo provides consultancy and independent assurance services, including NoBo, DeBo, AsBo and ISA, across signalling, infrastructure and rolling stock to clients including infrastructure managers, train manufacturers, equipment manufacturers and maintainers. Our shared goal is to be the natural choice provider of expert advice and independent assurance services to the global rail industry. Ricardo Rail is a Notified Body for the European Technical Specifications for Interoperability (TSIs), an Assessment Body for the European Common Safety Method (CSM-RA) and an Independent Safety Assessor (ISA) for signalling systemsCare, integrity and excellence will always drive our long-term relationships with clients and colleagues.
Due to continued growth we are now looking to strengthen our capability. The role we are seeking to fill is that of a Rail Consultant to support our business.
You will work on the delivery of projects providing expert advice on Railway Systems (Signalling, Energy ), RAMS and Safety Engineering services to the project deliverables and directly to the client as required.
You will be assessing the design of rail systems to confirm compliance with the relevant standards in the destination countries. You will also be involved in developing market opportunities and preparing winning proposals.
Essential experience required:
- Provide expertise and advice to Ricardo Certification, Ricardo Rail and external clients on good engineering practice, potential solutions, railway standards and EU Legislation.
- Expertise on at least one train control technology: Communication Based Train Control (CBTC), European Rail Traffic Management System (ERTMS / ETCS), Positive Train Control (PTC).
- Know How in signalling principles such as Automatic Train Control and Automatic Train Operation under various Grades of Automation: ATC, ATO, DTO, UTO.
- Familiar with the interfaces between train control systems and rolling stock subsystems: braking systems, doors, propulsion systems, TCMS, onboard communications.
- Specialist in RAMS, HAZID, HAZOP, FTA, FMECA, system assurance, and safety case development under the Common Safety Method (CSM) on Risk Evaluation and Assessment, IEC 62278, IEC 62279, IEC 62425, CENELEC EN 50126, EN 50128, EN 50129, 49 CFR Part 236.
- Application of applicable standards (including railway standards, Spain and EU Rail Regulations including the TSI).
- Any MassTransit / Metro Signalling Experience.
Desirable experience required:
- Previous experience in the services industry as a consultant, auditor or assessor.
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal, in the English language written and spoken and in Spanish as well.
- Well regarded in the railway industry, with an established network within signalling system suppliers, rolling stock manufacturers, energy national safety agencies, railway operators.