Energy & Carbon Management Consultant
- Role type
- Bristol, Manchester, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a global sustainability consultancy. We combine world-leading energy, climate change and environmental expertise with powerful IT, knowledge management and economics capability. We help policy makers understand complex issues and empower business leaders with award winning consultancy advice.
Ricardo Energy & Environment's vision is to be recognised, by Governments, International Agencies, and commercial businesses as a leading provider of analysis, advice, and data on economically sustainable solutions for the most pressing global energy and environmental challenges. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work. We are also successful in leading and delivering major multi-partner trans-national collaborations.
Our business consists of a team of over 350 consultancy staff, conducting high-profile consultancy projects for clients including the European Commission, UK government agencies, NGOs and FTSE 100 companies. In short, we work to deliver projects that are at the heart of the UK's and Europe's sustainability agenda.
Ricardo Energy & Environment’s Energy practice is a team consisting of around 50 consultants who are highly experienced professionals specialising in techno-economic and management consultancy services for the energy sector, with particular emphasis on renewable energy – including renewable heat, the power sector, energy and other electricity projects. The strength of the Energy practice is our ability to combine strategic, financial/economic and technical advice as an integrated consultancy service to public and private sector clients. Our team of energy consultants are qualified in a range of commercial, engineering, economic and financial disciplines. Most of our assignments draw on expertise in several of these areas. In addition to the core team we can draw on a wide range of energy specialist associates, with whom we have long-standing working relationships. This network of relationships complements our permanent office presence in Harwell, Guildford, Glasgow, Bristol, London and South Africa, expanding our reach to international energy markets: Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, and the Americas.
To support in the delivery of technical projects in our energy and carbon consultancy – in particular our business delivering energy efficiency, energy management in the built environment, carbon reporting, assurance, and carbon management.
From day one, you'll be part of a team supporting senior consultants in delivering high-profile projects to clients. The successful applicant will have excellent numeracy and analytical skills gained from a scientific or engineering background, strong writing skills, a proactive, organised approach and a commitment to producing high quality work with a high level of attention to detail.
The role will provide input on a range of energy and carbon related services to a diverse client base ranging from investors, financial institutions, public sector bodies to corporates. You will have some proven experience in the field of energy or carbon and have up to date knowledge of the key models and techniques being used currently when carrying out appraisals.
Successful candidates will demonstrate some of the following:
- Experience of energy management and industrial energy efficiency
- Experience of carbon management
- Analytical skills with ability to identify, develop and implement business improvement solutions
- Knowledge of both current and future environmental and energy related legislation
- Strong communication skills and the ability to apply change management techniques
- Effective project management skills
Successful candidates must have the following skills and characteristics:
Candidates will have a Science, Accountancy or Engineering qualification/background with practical experience with a focus on delivering a selection of the following:
- Energy management and industrial energy efficiency, carbon management and reduction strategies
- An understanding of energy and carbon regulation including ESOS, CRC and EUETS
- Up to date knowledge of onsite renewables, energy storage, heat pumps, and DSR
- Experience of implementing energy optimisation strategy in the facilities management and / or construction industry, EPC or ESCO models
- Energy reduction management, asset reviews and audit surveys
- Understanding of construction technology, building services engineering and renewable energy solutions
- Component studies and options appraisals (CRoI), Life cycle costs, Renewable energy payback analysis, Payback (CRoI), NPV, DCF, smoothing & sinking funds
- GHG inventories and carbon footprinting
- Scenario analysis and science based targets
The successful candidate will need to hold a Full UK Driving license for this position.
- A high level of numeracy and a talent for numerical analysis;
- A professional and diligent approach
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Strong PC literacy - especially in MS Excel and MS Word;
- Be flexible, proactive, resilient and enthusiastic;
- Be able to work independently and demonstrate initiative, as well as operate effectively as part of a team;
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive remuneration and benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field.
Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer.