Senior/Principal Regulatory Consultant
- Role type
- Full time, Permanent
- Oxfordshire (Harwell), London
- Closing Date
The National Chemical Emergency Centre (NCEC), founded over 45 years ago, is the market leading provider of chemical emergency response services globally, dealing with over 4,000 emergency calls a year on behalf of over 550 companies, including 50% of the largest chemical manufacturers in the world. We are recognised by our clients, the industry and our peers as being the premium provider of these services, and our reputation is based on the outstanding level of knowledge and technical expertise of our emergency response team.
Alongside the emergency response services, we also offer a range of regulatory compliance services (including REACH, technical document authoring (SDS, etc.)), Poison Centre notification, software packages for managing SDS and chemicals, as well as training. We also work closely with our Policy team and have secured work relating to chemicals from the EU and UK Government.
Today NCEC is part of Ricardo PLC’s subsidiary company, Ricardo Energy & Environment; a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, air quality, transport, water, environmental and our chemical risk expertise with strong marketing, IT and economics capability.
NCEC is seeking to significantly expand its regulatory consultancy offerings, continuing to capitalise on excellent growth we have had in several areas and taking advantage of new market opportunities. We are looking for a senior or principal consultant to lead much of our delivery and support sales and marketing. The role will be tailored to the skills and experience of the successful candidate alongside our existing team. You must have proven expertise in supply regulations, be an expert communicator and customer project/relationship manager and will ideally have other niche technical skills e.g. biocides, Agrochems etc.
NCEC has a number of employees deployed on these projects, and a team of shift-based emergency responders who have chemistry degrees and regulatory knowledge so also contribute towards project delivery.
The Principal Regulatory Consultant will be responsible for:
- Undertaking a range of client work bringing their own specialisms as well as contributing to delivery and sales across a number of the areas listed above
- Help us open up new consultancy offerings to existing or new potential customers e.g. biocides, Agrochem registrations etc
- Providing extensive technical knowledge in some of all of the following; REACH, SDS authoring, PC notification or regulatory work for Government
- Providing management of project staff related to customers / consultants working on technical projects as agreed with the Product Managers for specific customer work (Managing the quality, accuracy and timeliness of deliverables)
- Supporting the personal development of other members of the team across these technical areas and management skills
- Liaising with marketing and sales staff to ensure effective promotion of NCEC’s capabilities in support of sales activities to grow these areas
- Identifying and helping to take forward opportunities that are uncovered through the technical work e.g. through technical conversations around Safety Data Sheets uncovering where the customer may require additional support in REACH, Poison Centres and Emergency Response or training opportunities and working with the Business Area Manager and/or sales team to close these
Key competencies and experience:
- Have an extensive background in supply regulations (and potentially transport regulations as well); safety data sheet authoring, understanding how to classify both substances and mixtures and author a fully compliant safety data sheet, expert knowledge of REACH and knowledge of Poison centres desirable but not a necessity
- Performing and managing high quality technical consultancy in the field of chemical regulatory affairs
- Have and maintain expert knowledge of the regulations affecting the worldwide chemical industry, in particular supply regulations e.g. REACH, GHS and CLP.
- Keep up to date with market trends and developments (e.g. sustainability) and provide technical support to colleagues in the development of new service offerings and creation of technical papers
- Contribute ideas to the development of business strategy with respect to regulatory consultancy
- Provide the product managers with management support to enable successful delivery of regulatory consultancy projects and fulfilment of personal development/ training needs for others in the team
- Be an excellent communicator and used to presenting your ideas and project outputs to customers and ideally at regulatory conferences, at events or through webinars, blogs etc
- Bring your own network of contacts from customers and stakeholder organisations
- Have the ability to manage and influence people effectively and/ or delegate work to others
This is an exciting opportunity for someone to make their mark in a growing team. We will be recruiting for a number of additional roles over the next few years and so you’re joining at a key time to help us grow our consultancy services. NCEC provides a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will join a professional and enthusiastic team tasked with achieving significant organisational growth over the coming years. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop.
Ricardo Energy & Environment strives to be an equal opportunities employer.