Business Area Manager- Sustainability Solutions
- Role type
- London, Oxfordshire (Harwell)
- Closing Date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and waste expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With extraordinary sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Our Sustainability team was recently crafted to bring additional focus to the services we deliver in the corporate sustainability market, building upon the work we already deliver including supporting clients on a variety of projects from strategy through actions to data collection and reporting to improvement actions.
Through this team, we are looking to offer a range of ‘joined up’ sustainability services supporting organisations’ sustainability journeys and expand our sustainability offering.
We are seeking a Business Area Manager to lead our team and develop our business further. This is a fantastic opportunity to evolve a new stream of business within a leading environmental consultancy. The leader we are looking for should have a consistent track record, strong market credentials and great customer and commercial skills. You will have extensive consultancy experience of working on sustainability projects at senior levels in the private sector and will work closely with other Business Area Managers and the Director of the Technologies Tools and Solutions Practice to grow and deliver the team’s portfolio of projects.
With involvement in networking, developing leads, winning and delivering consultancy projects to private sector customers, this role will involve supporting Ricardo Energy & Environment campaigns and marketing initiatives, developing propositions and tailoring these for specific parts of the private sector, and finding opportunities to present our capabilities to new clients. In addition, the individual will need to be involved in delivering the work once won, and in supporting the wider team in developing their skills and approach to market.
The role will be based in either our London or Oxfordshire offices, in line with your preferences.
You will have a Science, Accountancy, or Engineering, qualification/background with extensive practical and management career experience with a focus on delivering a selection of sustainability projects. This might include sustainability strategies, reporting, tangible projects and assessment methods like Life Cycle Assessment, through to Corporate and ESG reporting and strategies and other data collection and analytical tools. Knowledge including recent developments with the Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures, Global Reporting Initiative, Integrated Reporting, and integration of the UN Sustainable Development Goals would also be useful. Alongside wider expertise aligned to projects addressing the UN SDGs on modern slavery, social, community and human rights and social metrics and evaluation related to this. Finally, success in securing green finance and sustainable funding would also be relevant.
Specific requirements of the role are to undertake a range of activities depending on business needs, including:
- Leading a range of enthusiastic business development activities including identifying, engaging and networking with both new and existing clients;
- Networking and building strong relationships with clients and other partners in the market;
- Developing and overseeing market engagement to raise profile of sustainability team’s services both internally and externally, attracting customers and new accounts;
- Working closely with other Business Area Managers and the Practice Director to develop and deliver the team’s growth plans and identify and secure new consultancy opportunities to achieve the team’s annual targets;
- Leading from the front on the development of proposals for projects for a wide range of clients;
- Being or becoming a sustainability sector leader, who is recognised on a national level as an expert in the field, maintaining a detailed and up to date knowledge of the market and customer needs;
- Leading technically complex consultancy projects, and their project managers;
- Managing, coaching and developing the sustainability team, to help grow skills and capability, which will lead to further opportunities;
- Working closely with other Ricardo Energy & Environment teams (e.g. Energy, Water, Air Quality, etc.);
- Being responsible for and delivering sales, revenue and profit against agreed targets, and monitoring progress towards those targets.
You will have the following skills and characteristics:
- A Bachelor’s degree (2.1 or above), Master’s degree or PhD in a relevant engineering or science subject with extensive experience in the field;
- Excellent technical knowledge and knowledge of key policy issues in the field;
- Extensive consultancy experience and/or working in a corporate CSR/sustainability team;
- Excellent business development skills as demonstrated through a track record of identifying and securing new consultancy work in the above fields;
- A passion for delivering high value work to clients, identifying and securing new opportunities and bringing new ideas to the table for successfully growing the business;
- Flexible approach including a willingness and ability to work on a wide range of topics, some of which will be new to you;
- Extensive project management skills and experience;
- Analytical skills with ability to identify, develop and implement business improvement solutions;
- Great communication skills and highly emotionally intelligent with strong stakeholder engagement skills and an ability to build consensus amongst groups of often very different stakeholders;
- Excellent numerical skills, report writing and oral presentation skills (in English);
- Effective and dedicated team worker, capable of supporting and developing peers and junior staff members.