Associate Director - Aquatic Ecology
- Role type
- Closing Date
Role: Associate Director - Aquatic Ecology
Location: Manchester - Hybrid, Commutable to Manchester office)
Salary range: £60,000 - £70,000
Role ID: 2023 - 2153
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company - a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
The Associate Director (Aquatic Ecology) role is an opportunity to develop and shape a dedicated technical team, and build upon the existing extensive project portfolio, both in the UK and internationally. Experience in engagement with clients, customers and environmental regulators is essential. Many of our projects are complex in nature and you will be required to work with other disciplines to create effective solutions. As well as driving delivery of our current portfolio you will contribute to the identification of opportunities and bidding for work.
- Provide technical leadership across the Ecology team to deliver expertise in aquatic ecology investigations across all project stages, from bidding/feasibility/optioneering, extensive field survey programming, detailed design and assessment.
- Act as technical lead for the production of consent related technical assessments such as Habitats Regulations Assessments (HRA) and Water Framework Directive (WFD) assessments.
- Business development, client liaison and establishing new clients.
- Growing, leading, and developing teams and supporting and training junior staff.
Key competencies and experience
- A degree in a relevant subject, such as ecology or other biological sciences, and/or a relevant postgraduate qualification;
- Demonstrable commercial consultancy experience and have Full Membership of CIEEM and/or Chartered Ecologist status.
- Extensive knowledge of UK and EU Wildlife Legislation, planning policies, licensing requirements and best practice survey techniques.
- Demonstrable experience working on large scale environmental projects.
- Willingness to undertake line management responsibilities and a business leadership role.
- Strategic mindset able to contribute to wider team leadership.
- Confident to take on a mentor role to junior staff.
- Flexible approach to working, with inquisitiveness and willingness to learn.
- Ability to adapt to working on a wide range of projects.
Skills and Behaviour
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; be able to produce and review meticulous and accurate technical reports.
- Excellent team working skills are therefore essential together with strong communication skills.
- Be able to represent Ricardo and its clients to key stakeholders, including wide-ranging technical engagement and consultation with regulators, local authorities, NGOs and the general public.
- Post graduate qualification (Masters or Doctorate).
- Advising and managing consenting applications such as planning, Development Consent Orders, HRA, WFD and Environmental Permits.
- Experience in Project Direction and technical reviews.
Working with Ricardo
You will be warmly welcomed into our workplace where every voice matters. We are diverse thinkers and doers, coming together to create a culture of inclusion. We will support you to find your place.
We will encourage you to use your passion and expertise to make a positive impact through the projects you work on. Your knowledge and desire to bring about change will be invaluable in helping deliver innovative solutions that support communities across the globe in becoming safer and more sustainable.
Work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that is working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential.
We want you to know how much you are valued. Your remuneration and benefits package will reflect that. You will receive a range of benefits which include support for your physical and mental health.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.
Ricardo is a Disability confident employer please advise the recruitment team via firstname.lastname@example.org if you require any adjustments to support you throughout the recruitment process.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment.
Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and to ensure an inclusive culture, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.