Research Associate - Power Markets Modeller
- Role type
- Full time, Permanent
- Closing Date
Role: Research Associate - Power Markets Modeller
Role ID: 2023-2120
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
E3M, part of Ricardo plc develops and maintains large-scale models across the energy, environment and transport sectors. Its expertise focuses on the design and impact analysis of the transition of all possible types of power generation technologies, several types of alternative green fuels, energy demand efficiency and mobility restructuring. Its integrated modelling tools provide informed, transparent and robust analysis as well as recommendations for its high-profile clients which include the European Commission, national governments, energy regulators and a number of private companies in the energy and transport sectors, financial institutions and strategic consultancies.
Over the past 30 years, E3-Modelling has carried out consultancy on all major European energy and climate policy initiatives, and its large-scale energy, economy and transport models have been applied at the very heart of European Commission policymaking.
Do you have solid technical skills and a strong interest in European and international energy policy, with a special focus on the industrial sectors and industrial processes?
We are looking for self-driven, motivated modellers to join our EU offices, Athens, Madrid, or Berlin and work alongside our energy system modelling team on high-standing consulting projects for international organisations, national governments, and the private sector.
In this position you will perform quantitative research to support various activities of the PRIMES energy system model. More specifically, you will:
- Operate, maintain and further develop the power sector and the electricity markets models PRIMES modeling suite.
- Collect, structure, maintain and analyze large datasets with relevance for energy, economy, power sector and electricity markets.
- Design solutions for improving data workflows and quality assurance processes related to modelling.
- Be part of international research projects and liaise with other research groups.
- Draft short papers or presentations based on model results.
Key Competencies and Experience
- Hold a BSc and/or MSc or PhD degree in engineering, economics, applied mathematics or physics or other relevant disciplines.
- Proven work and/or research experience in the field of energy systems modelling, focusing on the power sector and electricity markets.
- Demonstrated data management skills, including the ability to use programming tools, preferably GAMS or Python or R for modelling.
- Be an excellent user of MS Office, with emphasis on MS Excel (including VBA).
- Be proficient in English (verbal and written).
- Have a detail-oriented and problem-solving mindset, collaborative attitude and willingness to learn.
- Proven writing skills gained through (co-) authorship of academic articles, technical and/or policy reports in English is an asset.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that is working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.
Ricardo is a Disability confident employer - please advise the recruitment team via email@example.com if you require any adjustments to support you throughout the recruitment process.