Fuel Cell System Engineer
- Role type
Van Buren, MI
We are a global strategic engineering and environmental consultancy that specializes in the transport, energy and scarce resources sectors.
Our work extends across a range of market sectors – including passenger cars, commercial vehicles, rail, defense, motorsport, energy and environment – and we are proud to possess a client list that includes transport operators, manufacturers, energy companies, financial institutions, and government agencies.
Through our multi-industry knowledge and deep technical expertise, we are uniquely positioned to handle our clients’ toughest strategic and operational challenges, with assignments that have included strategy development, cost reduction, safety management, regulatory compliance, and environmental impact assessments.
In addition to our technical consultancy services, we have in-house engineering capabilities that enable us to design and deliver high-quality prototypes and low-volume manufacturing of complex products and assemblies, including engines, transmissions, electric motors and generators, battery packs and fuel cell systems.
We are seeking a Systems Engineer for our growing Electrification Systems team. The Systems Engineer works with a cross functional engineering team for definition, design, integration, verification, and validation of the electric power train for mobility applications. The ideal candidate will bring a solid background in mechanical or electrical engineering and experience in systems engineering. Key responsibilities and expectations include:
- Development and management of requirements
- Support or create fuel cell or battery electric power train architectures
- Support development of packaging concepts for HV Batteries, fuel cell systems, Hydrogen storage and thermal management systems, mass estimates and materials cost
- Review related codes and standards and drive requirements
- Develop concepts for Fuel Cell System air intake and exhaust plus thermal management systems
- Support development of sub-system and components engineering specifications
- Determine and define sub-system interfaces to optimize different aspects of the system such as field serviceability, system reliability and cost.
- Define system or sub-system simulation needs
- Support preparation of project proposals
- Support vehicle integration and commissioning activities
- Organize meetings with internal cross functional teams or suppliers
- Participate in development of DFMEA, DVP&R and test plans and procedures
- Ability to handle and maintain confidential information
- Ability to work well with people, in a team environment, and to communicate effectively both written & oral
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, matrix organization
- QHSE responsibility for those with a team will include risk profiling, procedures, and provision of training.
· BSME or BSEE
· 3+ years’ experience
· Strong understanding of systems engineering process and tools
· Experience with battery electric vehicles or battery electric integrations is desirable
· Knowledge of electric vehicles, Fuel Cells, Batteries, Power Electronics and Thermal Management Systems
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Experience in organizing meetings with customers and suppliers
· Demonstrated ability to develop creative solutions to meet cost and functional requirements
· Ability to work independently and with globally distributed teams
· Familiarity with engineering development processes (block diagrams, FMEA, P-diagrams, DVP, work instructions, etc.).
· Experience troubleshooting electrical and mechanical systems
· Knowledge of Hydrogen storage systems, and hydrogen in general
· Experience with environmental testing, e.g., shock, vibration.
- Roles at Ricardo, Inc. are individually tied to Quality, Health and Safety policies and procedures. Further trainings and information will be reviewed upon start.
· MSME, MSEE, or other related advanced degree
· 5+ years’ experience with electric powertrain
· Experience with design and development of fuel cell systems and HV Batteries
· Experience at an automotive OEM or Tier 1 supplier with multiple successfully delivered “Cradle to grave” programs
· Experience with engineering processes from concept development to production delivery and support
· Packaging – ability to address issues related to detailed design
· Knowledge of fuel cell related standards
· Experience in Model Based Systems Engineering methodology
· Experience in using Matlab, Simulink, AMESim and Visio
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, height, weight, gender identity and sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, arrest record (MI only), parental status (IL only), military or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.