Climate Finance Senior Consultant
- Role type
- Fixed Term Contract, Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Flexible, UK, London, Madrid
- Closing Date
Role: Climate Finance Senior Consultant
Location: Madrid, Spain or United Kingdom Flexible, Home-based, Hybrid remote/In office, Remote work allowed
Role ID: 2023-2043
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world.
Working in multi-disciplinary teams, you will help to win, manage and deliver high-profile projects that play an integral role in contributing to our climate finance service offer including coordinating our technical assistance programmes for low-carbon and/or adaptation projects. The successful candidate will also play a pivotal role in shaping the climate finance across developing countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America on stakeholder engagement, project pipeline development and coordinating convening activities with key stakeholders in climate finance both at the country level and internationally.
You will use your technical skills to coordinate inputs from various technical, Gender, Inclusion and Social sustainability experts to analyse and support projects on their financial, technical and climate impact aspects. You will be involved in climate finance related projects requiring skills for designing climate finance strategies at the international, national and subnational level. Such strategies require expertise and knowledge on the supply and demand side of climate finance, including public financing tools such as green bonds and how to coordinate them with central banks’ structures, but also how capital markets and impact investing products work. You will provide expertise to governments, donors, development banks and international institutions in climate investment planning and financing NDC implementation. Such projects require a collaborative approach to unlocking a steady flow of funding for low-carbon climate projects, helping to remove existing climate finance challenges and helping project developers make their projects bankable and investment-ready.
Have a good understanding of strategic and finance decisions across various sectors with a focus on green transition in both established and emerging markets. You will be familiar with providing advisory support services to public and private investors and related actors supporting the identification, preparation, development and implementation of viable sustainable investments at project and corporate level by enhancing the capacity of project promoters and financial intermediaries to develop and implement such financing and investment operations. You will have experience in coordinating technical assistance programmes with stakeholder engagement activities.
There will also be the opportunity to support the development of more junior colleagues.
Required competencies and experience
- Qualified to a Master’s degree level in finance, economics or environmental sciences.
- Previous experience in leading or working on proposals and projects for international organisations and/or national governments.
- Demonstrable experience in some of the following:
- Programme or project management, stakeholder engagement activities and coordination in climate finance related projects/
- Coordinate various technical inputs from various teams to provide support to beneficiaries.
- Advise on capacity building approaches and design.
- Develop & conduct webinars.
- Run training sessions.
- Produce guidance materials.
- Create mentors’ scheme to pass on learnings to other cohorts.
- International climate funds (e.g. CIF, GCF) and/ or International projects with development agencies or donors, including Development Banks (e.g. World Bank, GIZ, NDCP, IDB, AfDB) on climate action and climate finance.
- Ability to explain complex climate finance concepts to a non-finance audience.
- Highly numerate, with a track record in carrying out quantitative analysis. Ability to develop and implement innovative strategies and solutions in the field of climate finance, sustainability and climate change.
- Capacity to manage projects, set the technical direction and delegate to deliver work effectively and efficiently, providing subject matter expertise and fostering collaborative environment.
- Stakeholder engagement: Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to engage with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Fluency in English.
Desirable competencies and experience
- Track record in writing winning proposals
- Experience in wider business development activities and relationship building
- Fluency in Spanish
Skills and behaviours
- Demonstrate a passion for the drive to create a more sustainable world, and a clear motivation to work for Ricardo and align with its values.
- Enjoy solving complex analytical problems.
- Demonstrate exceptional critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills.
- Have excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Come to work with flexibility, resilience and enthusiasm.
- Be accurate and attentive to detail.
- Be an effective and proactive team worker.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.
Ricardo is a Disability confident employer - please advise the recruitment team via firstname.lastname@example.org if you require any adjustments to support you throughout the recruitment process.