Business Development Director
- Role type
Role: Business Development Director - Automotive
Location: Midwest Territory
Automotive and Industrial is one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units and is a trusted global engineering services partner for clean and efficient integrated propulsion and energy systems. Our experience and history over more than 100 years at the forefront of mobility innovation enables us to deliver solutions to the most complex challenges, allowing our customers across all global transport sectors to achieve a sustainable zero-carbon future.
Develops and secures a growing stream of profitable engineering consulting business from assigned markets. In accordance with Ricardo’s strategic plan, executes and coordinates the business development process. Leads cross product group high impact sales and marketing efforts and develops and maintains the Ricardo business relationship within markets and clients, focused on engineering consulting business and large programs. Also supports and works closely with other Ricardo Business Units including Energy, Rail, Defense and Strategic Consulting.
· Orchestrates and coordinates the Ricardo selling team (including chief engineers, product managers, and operations) in assigned markets and clients, keeps them informed of latest client and market developments
· Defines market drivers within the defined sector(s)
· Identifies and develops new business opportunities proactively that support corporate and business segment objectives and capabilities
· Identifies gaps between market requirements and corporate capabilities
· Develops and executes market sector and client plans that support attainment of corporate and business segment goals, and coordinated globally where applicable
· Markets Ricardo as a high-value, high-leverage technical partner for clients, differentiated from competitor North American consultants/engineering services suppliers
· Promotes strategic outsourcing and Ricardo USPs; defines, quantifies and sells value (benefits) associated with Ricardo offerings in a way that effectively differentiates Ricardo from competitors and creates client preference for Ricardo
· Develops and manages long term client business relationship effectively and in a manner that maximizes client value and R-US profitability
· Oversees and coordinates Ricardo cross-functional selling initiatives
· Develops rapport and relationships with client senior management that allows early identification of opportunities for Ricardo to uniquely add value (perhaps in new ways) to the business relationship, a total solution approach, a pro-active approach, a business partnership approach, an approach that delivers bottom-line results for clients and Ricardo
· Acts as primary liaison with client purchasing and resolves commercial issues in a proactive, professional, timely and Ricardo-favorable manner that maximizes client goodwill, proactively escalates issues within client hierarchy and within Ricardo as appropriate to remove roadblocks; proactively develops client commercial frameworks that allow for growth, client satisfaction and profitability with limited risk to Ricardo
· Maintains strong knowledge of assigned market/client business strategy, new product plans and organization charts; regularly disseminates such information to the Ricardo organization and converts such intelligence into market/client strategy and tactics
· Develops, supports and manages key events at assigned clients
· Achieves annual goals, identifies opportunities to achieve fiscal year business plan order targets and stretch order targets as assigned
· Develops annual fiscal year order forecast and assumptions for assigned market sector
· Represents Company at industry trade shows, seminars and associations to promote Ricardo and establishes credibility as an industry/market leader
· Provides proactive, appropriate and timely marketing support for creation of value selling and competitive differentiation tools, competitor analysis, market analysis, mailing lists, promotional material creation, presentations, special events, advertising, and PR campaigns
· Produces professional presentations and written materials to support selling initiatives
· Provides timely and accurate department reports as appropriate and requested
· Delivers superior levels of client service to both internal and external clients while demonstrating Ricardo’s core values of respect, integrity, creativity and innovation, and passion
· Performs other job-related duties as assigned
· Must be willing to travel as needed
· Bachelor’s degree in engineering or business; Master’s degree preferred
· Five years experience in business development in similar industries, including demonstrated ability in effectively delivered strategy and value selling
· Strong business and commercial skills with an understanding of financial drivers and shareholder value; solid knowledge of industry-standard legal and business language, including familiarity with contracts, NDAs, IP, payment terms, proposals, pricing, margins
· Established industry/market network
· Five years leadership experience; highly professional in appearance and approach; exudes expertise and credibility
· Sound strategic thinker; possesses vision of what could be; ability to identify opportunities; nimbleness in thinking; initiator of improvements
· Strong but customer-aware negotiation skills; track record of building high-performing teams; ability to influence
· Demonstrated ability to effectively multi-task
· Excellent presentation and communication skills; ability to condense complex issues into succinct messages for both internal and external communication
· Strong problem solving, analytical and listening skills
· Ability to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic and matrixed local and global organization
· Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
· Ability to handle and maintain confidential information
· Ability to work well with people, in a team environment, and to communicate effectively both written & oral
· Ability to excel in a fast-paced, matrix organization
- QHSE responsibility for those with a team will include risk profiling, procedures, and provision of training.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalized approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, height, weight, gender identity and sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, arrest record (MI only), parental status (IL only), military or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Our core benefits include paid vacation time off, emergency/sick time, plus 14 holidays, Medical/Dental/Vision plus 401k. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application, if qualified, a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.