Senior Associate - Environment
- Role type
- Closing Date
Role: Senior Associate – Environment (Contaminated Land)
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Role ID: 2023-1881
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a highly experienced Senior Associate to join our Environmental team based in Melbourne focusing on the project management and delivery of a wide range of Contaminated Land, Environmental Approvals and Circular Economy projects.
- Lead projects as the main contact for the project team from initial phase through to delivery of project deliverables and develop direct client relationships.
- Provide technical leadership and expertise to the team in the field of Contaminated Land.
- Lead proposals, client presentations and complex consultancy projects.
- Provide meaningful solutions for our clients.
- Complete reports for all stages of the project – from conception to completion.
- Support Ricardo’s project teams to deliver exceptional results.
- Provide technical guidance and mentoring to junior staff and share knowledge with the broader team.
- Provide input into business development strategies and initiatives to further grow the business.
Key competencies and experience
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in consulting, preferably within the field of contaminated land assessment and site remediation, and preparation of PSI, DSI, and remediation planning report.
- Tertiary qualification in Environmental Science, Geology, Earth Sciences or equivalent. An appreciation of other disciplines e.g., Ecology, Hydrogeology, Cultural Heritage would be advantageous.
- Working knowledge of key national and Victorian contaminated land regulations and guidance such as NEPM (2013) and EPA publications linked to Victoria’s Environment Protection Act (2017).
- Competency using Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Experience collaborating with diverse stakeholders/audiences and facilitating agreement between conflicting parties.
- Strong commercial and business development skills, coupled with a proven track record of identifying and securing new consultancy work.
- Experience managing multiple projects with competing demands.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 programs.
- Current driver’s license.
Skills and behaviours
- Well-developed customer service capabilities, able to build relationships both internally and externally
- Excellent professional listening, written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional organisational skills with outstanding attention to detail and ability to work methodically and thoroughly.
- Desire to continually improve technical knowledge and capabilities.
- Comfortable working on a variety of tasks in a sometimes fast-paced operational environment.
- Team player who is willing to get involved, supporting colleagues to resolve issues and facilitate solutions.
- Mentoring capability to assist in development of junior members of the team.
- Embrace Ricardo’s values of Create Together, Be Innovative, Aim High, Be Mindful, and aim to lead others towards high standards of behaviour and performance.
- Experience in environmental approvals (EIA, EES, works approvals/development licences), quarry/extractive industry approvals or planning permit applications.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have drive, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programs and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance program.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.