Consultant REACH / SDS
- Role type
- Closing Date
Role: Consultant REACH / SDS
Location: UK Flexible
Role ID: 2023-1890
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
The National Chemical Emergency Centre (NCEC), founded over 40 years ago, is the market leading provider of chemical emergency response services globally, dealing with over 4,000 emergency calls a year on behalf of over 550 companies, including 50% of the largest chemical manufacturers in the world.
We are recognised by our clients, the industry and our peers as being the premium provider of these services, and our reputation is based on the outstanding level of knowledge and technical expertise of our emergency response team.
Alongside the emergency response services, we also offer a range of regulatory compliance services (including REACH registration and representation, technical document authoring (SDS, etc.)), software packages for managing SDS and chemicals, as well as training and crisis consultancy and incident notification.
Today NCEC is part of Ricardo PLC’s subsidiary company, Ricardo Energy & Environment; a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, air quality, transport, water, environmental and our chemical risk expertise with strong marketing, IT and economics capability.
NCEC is seeking to significantly expand its regulatory consultancy offerings, taking advantage of new market opportunities. We are looking for a consultant to support our delivery of SDS. The role will be tailored to the skills and experience of the successful candidate alongside our existing team. You must have proven expertise in supply regulation and SDS authoring on a global level, be an expert communicator and customer project/relationship manager.
NCEC offers a range of consultancy services to its ca. 1,000 customers in the chemical sectors, although its primary focus is on telephone-based chemical emergency response. Its customers are based internationally and are faced with many varied challenges beyond emergency response as a result of fast-changing chemical regulations such as CLP/GHS and REACH. In response, NCEC has developed a range of regulatory consultancy services which have supported these requirements over a number of years. These services include;
- REACH services
- SDS Authoring
- SDS Management software (incoming and outgoing SDS)
- Poison Centre notifications
- Training (including COSHH)
- DGSA, and
- Other bespoke consultancy projects
NCEC has a number of full time employees deployed on these projects, and a team of shift-based emergency responders who have chemistry degrees and regulatory knowledge so also contribute towards project delivery.
The REACH / SDS consultant will be responsible for:
- Undertaking a range of client work related to REACH.
- Coaching and knowledge sharing with team members, helping others to grow their knowledge of the REACH regulation and how it applies to clients.
- Supporting other technical areas including Safety Data Sheet authoring, Poison Centre notifications etc.
- Understand the regulatory landscape and being an expert in this field
- Excellent project management and customer management skills, allowing you to manage our clients proactively, delivering excellence and winning repeat business
- Great communications skills
- Providing extensive technical knowledge especially in the area of REACH and/or SDS Authoring.
- Providing expert technical consultancy input to support the growth and development of technical regulatory consultancy products and services
- Identifying and helping to take forward opportunities that are uncovered through the technical work e.g. through technical conversations around REACH uncovering where the customer may require additional support in Safety Data Sheets, Poison Centres and Emergency Response or training opportunities
Key competencies and experience:
- Have an extensive background in supply regulations (and potentially transport regs as well); expert knowledge of REACH; safety data sheet authoring, understanding how to classify both substances and mixtures and author a fully compliant safety data sheet desirable but not a necessity.
- Performing and managing high quality technical consultancy in the field of chemical regulatory affairs
- Have and maintain expert knowledge of the regulations affecting the worldwide chemical industry, in particular REACH, GHS and CLP.
- Keep up to date with market trends and developments
- Contribute ideas to the development of business strategy with respect to regulatory consultancy
- Be an excellent communicator
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.