Geographic Information System (GIS) Consultant
- Role type
- Full time, Permanent
- London, Flexible, UK
- Closing Date
Role: Geographic Information System (GIS) Consultant
Location: Flexible UK
Salary range: £25k - £35k
Role ID: 2023-1877
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a digitally capable GIS Consultant to support a range of exciting and innovative projects within our Inventories team. We are looking for enthusiastic and proactive individuals with a desire to build and implement solutions to help solve environmental issues. Knowledge of, or interest in, air pollutant and greenhouse gas emissions is essential.
The Environmental Evidence and Policy team of over 250 consultants, scientists and engineers develop and apply state-of-the-art tools and techniques to deliver effective solutions to difficult air quality and greenhouse gas problems. Our team includes knowledge leaders on air quality measurement, inventory development, modelling, exposure assessment, chemical modelling, public health impacts, information management and data visualisation. Our clients benefit from the full range of air quality and greenhouse gas services that result in solutions and strategies tailored to addressing challenges at local, city and national scales. We deliver hundreds of projects every year, to public and private sector clients in the UK and overseas, including flagship programmes such as the UK’s national air quality measurement network (AURN), the National Atmospheric Emissions Inventory (NAEI) and the annual national scale air quality modelling assessment on behalf of UK Government.
Specific tasks will be dependent on your level of experience but are likely to include supporting desktop and web-based GIS solutions on projects that are delivered to clients through researching and analysing information and data. You will be responsible for the quality and delivery of your work and will work alongside other consultants to incorporate your contribution into wider project outputs.
Key Competencies and Experience
- A Bachelors (2.1 or above), Masters or PhD in a scientific subject with the use of GIS
- Experience in ESRI ArcGIS packages is essential, but exposure to other non-ESRI based GIS is an advantage
- Proficiency in programming languages like Python, R and SQL
- Experience with database server technologies such as PostgreSQL or other Big Data platforms
- Experience in using version control systems such as Git
- Experience with ArcGIS Enterprise and/or ArcGIS Online is highly desirable, but exposure to other non-ESRI based web GIS technologies is also an advantage
- Experience in development server-side API to serve geospatial data from a spatial database is an advantage
- Earth Observation experience is highly desirable
- Experience in a consultancy or in a customer facing commercial environment is an advantage
- Applicants will ideally have an understanding of air quality and climate change issues, gained as part of their studies or work experience, and enjoy working with ‘Big’ data.
- Strong numeracy skills and a talent for numerical analysis are essential
- Effective communication skills, both written and oral and basic presentation skills.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Self-reliant, proactive and good problem solving skills
- Flexibility, resilience and enthusiasm
- Strong team working skills
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure an inclusive culture, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.