Air Quality Consultant
- Role type
- Full time, Permanent
Role Title: Associate Director, Air Quality
Salary range: Dependent upon experience
Location: United Arab Emirates (UAE) or Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA)
Reference: ID 2023-1879
Do you want to work for a leading international sustainability consultancy in a growing team?
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Our company vision is to create a more sustainable world for the future, which is the driver behind everything we do as a business.
To deliver our vision, over the last 10 years, we have delivered projects that have shaped UK and international government policy to align with achieving air quality standards, delivered air quality strategy and plans across the public and private sector to deliver emission reduction and health and environmental protection. Our reputation for innovation, passion and integrity in the work we deliver means we are recognised as an organisation that provides high quality advice to our clients.
We know we bring about positive sustainable change and are looking for someone equally driven to deliver our vision.
The success we are having as a business means there are significant opportunities to expand our services and delivery, so we are seeking to recruit an experienced Associate Director level consultant to develop new client relationships across all of our Air Quality related disciplines, e.g.:
· Air Quality Measurement
· Air Quality Modelling and Forecasting
· Emission Inventories
· Environmental Policy & Climate Change
· Energy & Carbon Regulation
The role will be primarily to develop new business but with some support to project delivery activities, principally to provide on-project client relationship management, subject to the experience of the successful candidate.
Sitting in our established Air Quality Practice, part of a 150 person strong team, you will be an expert in identifying and engaging with air quality and environmental policy professionals across the private and public sectors, working with them to deliver the range of air quality, environmental policy and carbon regulation services that we offer.
Your ability to identify and develop opportunities which will raise the profile of the team and the services we provide is important, as is the ability to hold strategic conversations at a senior level; assess needs and develop technical propositions and take the clients on their air quality and environmental policy journey. As a result, you will most likely be working in a consultancy environment, possibly with experience working within a public or private sector organisation, a large company or a local authority/municipality and you'll be well networked in the air quality and environmental policy arena.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right person to really help to drive our business forward, building on an already highly successful delivery team. We are looking for a professional and consultative individual looking to enhance their skills further within a rewarding and fast paced environmental consultancy business with the opportunity for excellent career growth.
Within a collaborative and supportive team of consultants, you will be responsible for winning and delivering projects across multiple disciplines (e.g. Air Quality Measurement, Air Quality Modelling and Forecasting, Emission Inventories, Environmental Policy & Climate Change, Energy & Carbon Regulation).
Client liaison, project management and technical delivery will be required from initial client engagement through to provision of final reports. To assist our team, the successful candidate will:
· Be capable of building and maintaining new client relationships and developing new business leads and opportunities
· Converting new business opportunities into successful bids e.g. by supporting the bid teams by providing local knowledge and client context
· Be the client interface for key projects, demonstrating experience of working face-to-face with clients and managing their expectations.
· Liaise with specialist sub-contractors and build relationships internally and externally.
· Input technical expertise to lead air quality and environmental policy bids.
· Ensure appropriate profile raising and marketing of Ricardo’s services and capabilities.
Ricardo operates a parallel ‘team leader’ system for pastoral staff management, meaning that you will not initially have any direct line management responsibilities. However, if such line management is of interest to you, we can help you to demonstrate and develop that capability.
Key competencies and experience
· Have practical career experience and be able to demonstrate relevant technical capability, business development experience, effective project management and excellent communication skills.
· Have a higher education qualification (Bachelor’s Degree) in an environmental or engineering discipline, or otherwise to have a good track record working in an environmental role, so that you can demonstrate your knowledge.
· Ideally have experience of working in the consultancy sector, or organisational responsibility for the outputs from contracted consultants, to demonstrate that you have the necessary commercial awareness. We are also interested to talk to candidates currently performing environmental roles directly within industry especially where they have a strong commercial awareness.
· Demonstrate technical expertise across one or more of the following areas:
o Air Quality Measurement
o Air Quality Modelling and Forecasting
o Emission Inventories
o Environmental Policy & Climate Change
o Energy & Carbon Regulation
· Experience of identifying and developing business opportunities is essential.
· You will need to be able to travel to all countries across the GCC and be able to spend periods of time (e.g. days or, in a few cases, weeks) away from home.
Skills and behaviours, you will demonstrate the following skills and behaviours:
· Analytical skills with ability to identify, develop and implement solutions.
· Excellent writing skills to communicate clearly and without errors – accuracy and attention to detail are vital.
· Strong client and stakeholder communication skills e.g. influencing, negotiation, presentation and relationship management skills.
· Project management skills that demonstrate ability to manage and account for time spent, and to deliver work on time and budget.
· Team working and leadership and ability to coordinate and prioritise activities to ensure delivery of agreed targets.
· Ability to work autonomously and proactively.
· High level of computer literacy, including familiarity with the full Microsoft Office software suite and potentially industry analysis tools.
· A flexible approach – able to see where help is needed and support colleagues as necessary.
· Be comfortable juggling a variety of tasks in a sometimes fast-paced operational environment.
· High levels of drive and commitment; a self-starter, problem solver with the ability to turn ideas into reality.
In our Air Quality team we really enjoy the great work we do, so we will be looking for someone with a similar attitude – enthusiastic, committed, responsible, open and reliable.
This is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with the opportunity to make a difference in tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges in addressing air pollution. What sets us apart is our people. You will work with an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and supportive individuals. You will have a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of project, mentoring and coaching opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our people are important to us and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, careers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance Programme.
Ricardo Energy & Environment has an ambitious diversity, equality and inclusion approach as explained in this message by our CEO.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.