Head of Chemical Regulation Consultancy
- Role type
- Flexible, Spain, Flexible, UK
- Closing Date
Role: Head of Chemical Regulation Consultancy
Location: Flexible UK, Flexible EU
Role ID: 2023-1816
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a Head of National Chemical Emergency to join our NCEC team.
Ricardo have a successful chemical regulatory and safety business area and we are looking for a technically and commercially competent leader for this area. Our group provides a range of regulatory compliance services to companies across the world. Our emergency response business has over 600 clients with strong multi-year revenue and very high renewal rates.
We have a 50-year legacy of delivering best in class telephone emergency response as a product to the private and public sector.
We are currently looking for a Head of Chemical Regulation Consultancy to join our Chemical Regulation Consultancy team.
The Head of Chemical Regulatory Consultancy will be responsible for:
- Providing guidance, strategic direction and growing the current team of 20.
- Ensuring high quality and customer focused delivery while meeting agreed targets. E.g. Revenue, Orders and Profit across the Emergency Response and Regulatory Consultancy areas.
- Overseeing the undertaking of a range of client work, including contributing with your own specialisms as needed.
- Using extensive technical knowledge to contribute to delivery at the project director level (for key clients) and be the technical sales leader across the business area.
- Identifying growth opportunities, product offerings, and potential industry challenges based on market conditions, legislative change and customer demands. (Driving the future development of the function and the chemical risk teams as a whole).
- Working closely with the Ricardo leadership team to achieve the growth plans and Chemical Risk Strategy.
- Providing leadership related to customers / consultants working on technical projects as Project Director (managing the quality, accuracy, and timeliness of deliverables).
- Liaising with marketing and sales for effective promotion of Ricardo’s capabilities. In support of sales activities to grow these areas and designing effective marketing strategy with the Sales Director.
- Supporting client relationship and the account management team by joining key customer discussions and identifying new areas of opportunity with the client.
- Collaborating and identifying strategic opportunities, new products and services with other Ricardo business area. E.g. Within our chemicals policy team, agriculture and water businesses on a global basis.
- Keep up to date with market trends and developments, providing technical support to colleagues in the development of new service offerings and creation of technical papers.
Key Competencies and Experience:
- Experienced in leading the development and implementation of a business strategy with respect to chemical regulatory consultancy.
- Helpful to have knowledge (and existing relationships) in the UK, European or global chemical regulatory landscape, in particular REACH, CLP / GHS (including technical detail around SDS authoring, PC notification, etc.) and emerging government policy (e.g. the CSS). Global expertise would be desirable.
- Have an extensive technical background in supply and transport regulations; including experience in safety data sheet authoring (understanding how to classify both substances and mixtures and author a fully compliant safety data sheet), expert knowledge of REACH and knowledge of Poison centres (annex VIII requirements) strongly desirable to support the team delivery.
- Performing and managing high quality technical consultancy in the field of chemical regulatory affairs and an effective delegator of work.
- A skilled influencer and leader who enables the team to successfully deliver regulatory consultancy projects and supports personal development of team.
- Be an excellent communicator and used to presenting your ideas and project outputs to customers and at regulatory conferences, at events or through webinars, blogs etc.
- Bring your own network of contacts from customers and stakeholder organisations.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.