Analyst Consultant - Power Planning & Solutions (India)
- Role type
- Closing Date
Role: Analyst Consultant (Power Engineer) - Power Planning & Solutions
Location: Delhi, India
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for an Analyst Consultant to join our Power Planning & Solutions team. This role will provide a stepping stone into your consultancy career in an exciting and rapidly changing sector.
- This role is based in Delhi, where some of our team is already located, but you will actively interface and work with our UK-based team on a daily basis.
- This role would suit best to candidates who have recently completed their studies and are looking for an opportunity to start/continue their career in the energy sector.
- Candidates must meet all deemed as "essential" further down in this job description.
- Candidates must attach a cover letter to their application (minimum of 400 words), indicating their main reasons for applying for this role with Ricardo and what they believe they can offer to our team.
The Energy Practice
The Power Planning & Solutions team comprises a group of highly experienced professionals specialising in techno-economic, engineering and management consultancy services for the energy sector, with particular emphasis on the power sector. We cover power generation and transmission planning, electricity tariff and affordability studies, renewable energy integration, regulation, policy, and “smart grid” innovation projects. We are a committed team of like-minded professionals with a growing portfolio of energy technology, policy and strategy projects.
Projects are both in the UK and international – the practice has undertaken assignments in nearly 100 countries, including both developed, emerging and developing economies across all 5 continents. We have a broad range of clients, including multi-lateral lending agencies, governments, regulators, electricity companies, natural resources companies and private companies.
In the UK we are involved in pioneering projects working closely with distribution companies in the application of smart technology to improve the utilisation of electrical distribution systems, and with governments and other organisations to understand their energy data and options.
Outside the UK, we work closely with high profile stakeholders (both public and private) to support the sustainable decarbonisation of the power sector at national and regional scale. Our strength lies in our ability to combine strategic, financial/economic and technical advice as an integrated consultancy service to public and private sector clients.
From day one, you will be part of a team supporting senior consultants in delivering projects to our clients. Successful applicants will have strong numeracy, analytical and communication skills together with a proactive, organised approach and a pride in the quality of their work. Over time you will be expected to develop a strong understanding of the energy sector - including strategic, technical, commercial and regulatory aspects.
You will contribute to research and analysis that underpins our consultancy work. You will manage your time across several projects, contributing in all phases - from researching and analysing information and data, through providing key contributions to the development of techno-economic and financial models, to contributing to reports that are delivered to clients, and supporting the preparation of proposals to win new contracts. You will be responsible for the quality and delivery of your work, and will liaise with other consultants and teams to incorporate your contribution into wider project outputs.
You will be supported throughout your career with us in your professional development, to ensure you have the support and tools you need to deliver your role to a high quality, and to support your development into the future.
Examples of projects you will be working on include
- Feasibility studies for renewable energy projects
- Developing technical and economic power sector regulatory frameworks in developing countries
- Modelling work to determine future electricity prices in developing and emerging markets
- Network reliability and connection studies
- Smart grid / network innovation projects
- Hydrogen strategy
Essential Skills and behaviours
- Graduate applicants with a Masters degree (2.1 or above) in sustainable energy, power/electrical engineering, or similar;
- 6 months - 3 years’ practical career and/or student placement experience;
- A high degree of numeracy;
- An interest in the energy and power sector;
- The ability to effectively communicate and interact with colleagues in the practice and clients;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Strong PC literacy - especially in MS Excel and MS Word.
- Prior professional experience in some of the following:
- Renewable energy development and technical and development aspects of electricity storage.
- Electricity network innovation (e.g. flexible connections such as advanced network management and other smart grid solutions).
- Working within a consultancy business;
- Identifying and developing business opportunities.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees to ensure an inclusive culture, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.