Carbon Data Modeller
- Role type
- Closing Date
Role: Senior/Principal - Carbon Data Modeller
Role ID: 2023-1779
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are looking for a carbon Modeller to join our Waste and Resource Management Team. Due to our position at the forefront of waste carbon thinking, demand for carbon management and net zero support from the waste sector is outstripping our team’s resources. We are seeking to recruit an experienced senior or principal level consultant to lead and deliver net zero and carbon management projects for our waste management and local authority clients. You will be:
- Working on projects such as carbon modelling, Scope 1, 2 and 3 assessment, net zero roadmapping and system decarbonisation.
- Analysing and manipulating waste data to support a wide range of waste management, net zero and circular economy projects.
- Providing support to key decision makers in the waste industry, particularly, Local Authorities and waste management companies.
- Supporting and delivering projects in data analysis and options modelling.
- Helping develop new business through client relationships and leading tender responses
- Leading and supervising projects, and acting as a technical quality checker for models developed by other team members.
- Project Direction or Project Management.
- Technical review of project work undertaken by others.
- Responsible for the quality of own work and the work of others, both written and in spreadsheet form.
- Tasks to be delivered to time and within budget.
Key competencies and experience
Demonstratable technical expertise across the following areas
- Energy and carbon management planning and strategy.
- Net Zero strategy development and associated Science Based Targets.
- Carbon accounting, compliance, and measurement techniques and calculation methods for scopes 1 and 2 and CR reporting software, including in-depth understanding of scope 3 emissions sources and how to mitigate them.
- Carbon footprinting, verification and assurance.
- Carbon data analysis and modelling.
- Experience with waste carbon assessment tools such as WRATE, Simapro, and other industry carbon tools such as the Entreprises pour l’Environnement (EpE) “Protocol for quantification of GHG emissions from waste management activities” (EpE Protocol) methodology.
- A high level of numeracy and a talent for numerical analysis using Microsoft Excel.
- Experience of undertaking modelling and service reviews, option assessments, strategy development and procurement support.
- Ability to interpret complex issues and data, and identify solutions quickly.
- Knowledgeable about the UK waste market and the key players, service models and technologies.
- Ability to write clear, concise and accurate technical reports.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees to ensure an inclusive culture, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.