Environmental Business Development Consultant
- Role type
- Flexible Hours, Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Closing Date
Role: Environmental Business Development Consultant
Location: UK Flexible
Role ID: 2023-1772
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a Environmental Business Development Consultant to support a range of exciting and innovative projects and opportunities within our Air Quality and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventories team. Dependent on experience this role may also include technical project work.
The Environmental Evidence and Policy team of over 250 consultants, scientists and engineers develop and apply state-of-the-art tools and techniques to deliver effective solutions to difficult air quality and greenhouse gas problems. Our team includes knowledge leaders on air quality measurement, inventory development, modelling, exposure assessment, chemical modelling, public health impacts, information management and data visualisation. Our clients benefit from the full range of air quality and greenhouse gas services that result in solutions and strategies tailored to addressing challenges at local, city and national scales. We deliver hundreds of projects every year, to public and private sector clients in the UK and overseas, including flagship programmes such as the UK’s national air quality measurement network (AURN), the National Atmospheric Emissions Inventory (NAEI) and the annual national scale air quality modelling assessment on behalf of UK Government.
You will work with our Business Development Lead to:
- Conduct market research and analysis into key market sectors, customer types and geographies
- Proactively engage and network with potential customers to raise awareness of our team’s capabilities
- Develop case studies, blogs and marketing material
- Identify opportunities for investment and innovation
- Prepare proposals and presentations for customers
- Engage with teams across the Ricardo business to identify cross cutting opportunities
- Work as part of the team to develop new services for current clients and expanding the offer of current services to new clients
- Research new funding sources and opportunities to collaborate with partners
- Writing and coordinating the production of technical reports
Additionally, your responsibilities may include technical research and data analysis that underpins our consultancy work, including delivery of the UK’s National Atmospheric Emissions Inventory. Knowledge of, or interest in, air pollutant and greenhouse gas emissions is essential.
You will be responsible for the quality and delivery of your work and will liaise with other consultants to incorporate your contribution into wider project outputs.
Key competencies and experience
- High levels of drive and commitment; a self-starter, problem solver with the ability to turn ideas into reality.
- Professional business manner and working practice
- Positive engagement with customers, partners and colleagues in pursuit of successful sales outcomes.
- A Bachelors (2.1 or above) in a relevant subject.
- IT skills in commonly used software, e.g. Microsoft Office
- A strong interest and awareness of key environmental and climate change policies and issues.
- Effective communication skills, both written and oral and basic presentation skills.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.