Business Development Manager
- Role type
- Fixed Term Contract, Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Closing Date
Role Title: Business Development Manager – Brussels-based industry associations, NGOs and government clients
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
Ricardo is a leading provider of policy advice to the European Commission, the European Parliament, national governments, industry associations, non-governmental organisations (NGOs), international agencies, and businesses all over the world. We carry out techno-economic analysis on existing and possible future policy measures for addressing major challenges including climate change, access to clean energy, air pollution, enabling the circular economy, chemical risks, environmental degradation and sustainable transport, amongst others.
We are expanding the consultancy support we provide to Brussels-based European industry associations and businesses, the offices of Member State permanent representatives, think tanks, NGOs and other Brussels-based EU stakeholders on all of the above topics. Consequently, we are looking to recruit an experienced business development manager to support our ambitions in this area. The purpose of the role will be to lead our business development activities with this group of Brussels-based clients, raise Ricardo’s profile with key stakeholders in specific sectors of the economy (including, but not limited to the energy, transport, chemicals and heavy industry sectors) and identify and help secure new consultancy business from these organisations through a variety of market engagement activities.
The successful candidate will have an excellent track record in successful business development, good knowledge of the EU legislative landscape and policy-making processes and an existing network of contacts in multiple Brussels-based European industry associations, businesses, interest groups and other relevant stakeholders.
Working closely with technical experts in our Policy, Strategy & Economics Practice, you will lead business development activities to help identify, co-create and secure new consultancy projects for the different types of clients listed above, enabling our consultants to support them with technical analysis on a range of EU policy issues. The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Engaging with Brussels-based European industry trade associations, businesses, think tanks, NGOs and the offices of Member State permanent representatives on a regular basis through networking events, workshops and presentation roles at conferences, etc, most of which are likely to take place in Brussels.
- Promoting Ricardo’s expertise on a broad range of EU policy topics to potential clients via individual meetings or at events in Brussels and potentially elsewhere in the EU.
- Developing a pipeline of opportunities for Ricardo to provide techno-economic analysis and support to these industry associations on EU policy issues relating to climate change, energy, sustainable transport, pollutant emissions, chemicals and wider environmental issues.
- Identifying and/or co-creating new consultancy opportunities with the Brussels-based clients listed above and working closely with our consultants to win these projects by providing knowledge, insights and input to contribute to the preparation of high-quality proposals.
- Developing new relationships and partnerships with a wider range of Brussels-based stakeholders to support the growth of Ricardo’s business.
- Keeping in touch with key policy developments and events in the key topic areas we work in and coordinating with Ricardo colleagues on actions to exploit potential business opportunities.
Key competencies and experience
- Proven track record in carrying out successful business development activities.
- Strong network of existing contacts in a range of major Brussels-based European industry associations, businesses, the offices of Member State permanent representatives, think tanks, NGOs and with other Brussels-based EU stakeholders is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of the EU policy landscape on matters relating to climate change, energy, transport and wider environmental issues is desirable.
- Successful candidates may have previously worked in Brussels EU industry associations, public affairs agencies, think tanks or NGOs.
Skills and behaviours
- Self-motivated, willing and able to take responsibility for identifying and/or co-creating new business opportunities with target clients.
- Strong team-working skills – the successful candidate will be expected to collaborate closely with our technical consultants to win new projects together.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills combined with strong influencing skills.
- Ability to build trust-based relationships with clients and potential partners.
- Highly effective at building strong personal relationships across the business and keeping an up-to-date understanding of existing capabilities.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.
If you require any support with your application, please contact email@example.com.