Safety Assurance Consultant
- Role type
- Closing Date
Ricardo Canada, Inc., is looking for a Safety Assurance Engineer to join our growing team. Our head office is located at 160 Elgin Street, Suite 2600, Ottawa, Ontario, K0A 3P0. Our current project office is located at 97 Front St W., Toronto, ON, M5J 1E6. In this role, the employee will be working primarily from our current project office along with at other client sites throughout Ontario and, where appropriate, remotely.
This is a permanent, full-time position of 40 hours/week with an annual salary of $150,000 to $180,000 (depending on experience) plus benefits including medical and pension, along with 20 days’ vacation. In addition to salary, discretionary bonus payments and yearly discretionary salary increases may be provided based on performance. Relocation benefits may also be available. The language of work for this position is English.
You will be responsible for managing and directing the safety assurance reviews for a wide-range of client infrastructure projects, and for ensuring that the project along with the specific assurance deliverables are compliant with all local and international safety and technical standards.
The duties and responsibilities of the position will include:
- Managing and directing the safety assurance review for wide-range of client infrastructure projects, and ensuring that the project and assurance deliverables are compliant with all relevant local and international safety and technical standards;
- Developing internal project-based processes for execution of safety assessments;
- Devising tools and techniques to develop and inspect technical projects, and identifying or tailoring best practices by, among other means, conducting global market research;
- Liaising with clients to review technical information, drawings, construction plans and layouts for projects;
- Developing risk assessments and presenting them to clients and internal teams;
- Leading safety engineering activities for a wide range of rolling stock, signalling and infrastructure projects to ensure compliance with relevant safety standards;
- Leading safety assurance for the client, ensuring that project is compliance with relevant international safety and technical standards such as EN50126, EN50129, or IEC 61508, and/or CSM-RA;
- Organizing the delivery and maintenance of internal auditing schedules and reporting on their findings and conclusions;
- Overseeing the ongoing testing and final approval phase of railway projects and related infrastructure, and providing regular reports to clients;
- Liaising with clients and contractors on project progress, issues and technical matters;
- Directing and reviewing the work of members of the technical team and providing feedback or further development recommendations when necessary;
- Preparing technical reports on quality assurance for clients and regulatory authorities;
- Presenting technical and commercial information to internal and external audiences, and facilitating workshops and meetings as needed;
- Overseeing on-site safety of teams, and, as needed, planning and providing professional development activities and workshops on HAZOP / HAZID;
- Conducting technical analyses and reviews of Engineering Safety Management documentation and project assurance deliverables; and
- Assisting in the preparation of proposals, leading our company in the bidding process, and collaborating with other teams to support business development activities.
- Experience as an engineer in the areas of rail operability, safety assurance and certification
- Qualified to a degree level in a relevant discipline or have equivalent level in a combination of other educational qualifications / relevant experience.
- Significant experience and expertise in the assessment of railway and transit projects
- Client focused – understanding client needs and issues, developing requirements and solutions, managing client expectations and delivering high quality outputs.
- Good communicator, capable of engaging positively with clients and working cooperatively as part of an embedded team.
- Good IT and report writing skills – use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point
- Ability to manage or deliver on a range of projects to time and budget
- The successful candidate will be expected to participate in customer facing reviews and risk assessments, provide bid support and management of new projects.