Senior/Principal Consultant - Mechanical Engineer Waste Management
- Role type
- Full time, Part time, Permanent
- Closing Date
Role: Senior/Principal Consultant - Mechanical Engineer Waste Management
Location: UK Worldwide Flexible
Role ID: 2023-1735
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a Senior/Principal Consultant - Mechanical Engineer to join our Waste and Resource Management practice.
Our Waste and Resource Management practice provides a wide range of consultancy services to the waste management industry. One of our key disciplines is waste infrastructure, providing technical advice ranging from feasibility studies and due diligence through to technical advisory and owners engineering roles for our valued clients.
We specialise in a range of waste treatment techniques from established processes through to emerging technologies utilising thermal, biological and mechanical treatment to minimise waste and extract value wherever possible.
We are currently looking to expand our team with mechanical engineers with experience of mechanical waste processing applications, to service our expanding client list within the UK and also Middle East and Australia. In this role, you may be expected to get involved in a broad range of projects involving mechanical waste treatment technologies such as Material Recovery Facilities (MRF), Mechanical Biological Treatment (MBT), elements of thermal treatment technologies and others.
The type of projects typically undertaken include:
• Feasibility studies;
• Due diligence for development projects and operational assets;
• Independent opinion and expert witness services to legal clients in disputes;
• Technical assessor performing options appraisals and tender submissions;
• Production of technical specifications and documentation for mechanical processing plants;
• Bidding for new projects and opportunities;
• Project Engineer / Owner’s Engineer / Process Design Engineer for various facilities.
You will join our team of recognised industry experts with a range of backgrounds and specialisms, providing tailored technical, market, commercial and regulatory support to private and public sector clients in the UK and around the world.
Key accountabilities may include
• Lead on the provision of technical advice relating to mechanical treatment processes (primarily MRF, MBT, EfW elements and others).
• Liaising with clients on video calls and face to face meetings, including worldwide travel with a focus on the Middle East.
• Ability to review process and mechanical engineering documents, including but not limited to:
- Equipment schedules,
- Control philosophies,
- Functional design specifications,
- Scoping documents,
- Mass balances.
• Lead on technical due diligence studies in relation to mechanical waste treatment processes.
• Act as technical advisor regarding mechanical waste treatment processes to a range of public and private organisations regarding the delivery of waste infrastructure.
• Production of feasibility and scoping studies to assist clients in making financial investment decisions
• Produce basis of design documentation to assist procurement services.
• Ensure that designs meet health and safety requirements, legislative requirements, established industry “Best Practice”, user requirements, cost limits and time scales.
• Produce tender enquiry documents in respect of contracts for the provision of process systems / services.
• Producing, reviewing, verifying and approving technical specifications, assessing tender returns and providing technical support to those packages throughout the design, construction, installation, commissioning, operation and decommissioning phases of the project to ensure that the design intent is maintained.
• Provision of process engineering support for the development and design of mechanical waste processing plants
• Incorporating lessons learnt for use on other projects.
• Attending hazard identification and HAZOP studies.
• Providing technical expertise into the assessment of disputes and insurance claims involving the performance of waste treatment facilities.
• Managing the work of other junior engineers and coaching and mentoring more junior staff.
• Ensure cross discipline collaboration with other internal and external engineers.
• Lead and manage internal engineering teams in the production of bids, tenders and project work.
• Monitor and comment on sub-contractors work as may be required on individual projects.
• Contribute to the Engineering Team by attending as and when required regular team meetings and courses to ensure that changes in legislation and Company policies are fully complied with.
Key competencies and experience
• Qualified engineer with broad technical capabilities in the field mechanical waste treatment processes.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.