Railway Security & Safety Consultant
- Role type
Security and safety management have many similarities. Both are risk-driven processes that require the identification of system hazards and vulnerabilities, including an estimation and assessment of the risks associated with them in order to reduce the residual risk to an acceptable level. To meet the needs of the modern railway we are looking for an engineer who can deliver assurance both of safety and security. Ideally, we are looking for an experienced and flexible safety engineer with some experience in undertaking security risk assessments in a rail environment, or alternatively a security specialist who has worked in a rail environment with capability in the Common Safety Method for Risk Evaluation and Assessment (CSM-RA) and safety management principles.
Work will include delivering a wide range of security and / or safety engineering projects on projects encompassing all railway technical and operational subsystems to ensure compliance with relevant standards.
Leading and delivering security engineering deliverables in compliance with the Network Rail Security Assurance Framework (SAF) and/or relevant standards for railway Operational Technology (OT) on a range of infrastructure and rolling stock projects including:
- preparation of Security Engineering Plans (SEP).
- development of Security Engineering Assurance Documents (SEAD)
Support safety engineering activities on a range of railway projects including:
- development of systems definition and safety plans,
- hazard identification workshops
- risk assessment and hazard record management activities
- development of Safety Justification Reports.
- The successful candidate will be expected to participate in customer facing reviews and risk assessments, provide bid support and management of new projects.
- Qualified to a degree level in a relevant discipline or have equivalent level in a combination of other educational qualifications / relevant experience.
- Systems Engineering experience - ability to decompose a system context from project documentation, read and understand standards and understand key element/interfaces.
- Ability to write well structured, high quality reports with clear objectives and conclusions.
- Ability to present safety and security compliance arguments to clients, review panels and independent assessment bodies and regulators.
- Client focused – understanding client needs and issues, developing requirements and solutions, managing client expectations and delivering high quality outputs.
- Good communicator, capable of engaging positively with clients and working cooperatively as part of an embedded team.
- Good IT and report writing skills – use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point
- Ability to manage or deliver on a range of projects to time and budget
Knowledge and experience of cyber security, risk assessment methodologies and principles
Knowledge of relevant standards such as:
- DfT /NCSC Cyber Assessment Framework
- Rail Industry Standard RIS-0700-CCS - Internet Access on Trains for Customer and Operational Railway Purposes
- Network Rail Security Assurance Framework (SAF)
- ISO27000 series - Information Security Standards
- ISA/IEC 62443 - Industrial Automation & Control Systems Security
- Knowledge of the UK/EU Railway Operations, Engineering and Standards.
- Knowledge of the CSM-RA regulation or a similar application of engineering safety management (e.g. CENELEC EN50126/8/9 standards).
- Knowledge of hazard/threat identification and analysis techniques and management of hazards/threats through safety hazard records/security risk registers.
- Working knowledge in HAZOP/HAZID in a railway environment or similar.
- Knowledge of engineering safety management and compliance with EU and UK law relating to engineering safety
- Understanding of railway operational technology.
- Ideally you will be a Chartered Engineer with at least 5 years relevant experience, ideally in the UK rail industry.
We are looking for a dynamic consultant to join our experienced and well-respected Safety and Security Team to support our growing portfolio of work. We are a flexible employer and would be happy to consider home-based working and part-time roles. We are looking for self-motivated staff able to deliver high quality outputs, sometimes to demanding timescales.
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holiday plus usual bank holidays,
- Buy and sell 5 days holiday,
- Company Pension
- Life Cover
- Permanent Disability Insurance
- Access to employee discount scheme
- Employee Assistance programme
- Access to private GP services
- Udemy Learning
- Ability to purchase flexible benefits such as dental insurance, private medical insurance, cycle to work scheme, medical cash plan, computer lease scheme, lease car etc.
Ricardo Group is a global strategic engineering and environmental consultancy that specialises in the transport, energy and scarce resources sectors. We are members of a community of around 2,900 engineers, consultants and scientists providing strategic, technical and niche manufacturing services for a range of sectors including passenger car, motorsport, rail, clean energy and power generation.
Through our multi-industry knowledge and deep technical expertise, we are uniquely positioned to handle our clients’ toughest strategic and operational challenges. In addition to our core technical engineering consultancy services, we support our clients with strategy development, cost reduction, safety management, regulatory compliance and environmental impact assessments.
As part of the wider Ricardo family, the Rail Division provides world-class expertise in critical and complex railway systems. We operate across the UK, Europe, Middle East, Asia and Australasia, employing over 600 consultants working on rolling stock, infrastructure and independent assurance projects. Together we support a client portfolio that ranges from some of the world’s largest rail administrations to niche component suppliers.
Guided by our corporate values of respect, integrity, innovation and passion we enable our customers to achieve sustainable growth and commercial success. Our ambition is to work together to promote a more inclusive environment, which attracts all candidates and signals our commitment to celebrate and promote diversity.
Ricardo strives to be a diverse and inclusive place where we can ALL be ourselves. We offer family friendly, flexible working arrangements, with forums and inclusive facilities to support our staff. Ricardo is committed to ensuring there is no discrimination against any job applicant on the grounds of race, colour, nationality or national or ethnic origin, gender or marital status, disability, gender change status or sexual orientation, religion or philosophical belief, political belief, trade union activity or age.