IT Consultant - Technical
- Role type
- Oxfordshire (Harwell), Bristol
- Closing Date
Role: IT Consultant
Location: UK Flexible
Salary range: £55,000 - £65,000
Role ID: 2023-1695
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a talented technical consultant with a broad range of experience in working with clients across a range of different and often complex data management systems, processes, and technology initiatives.
You’ll understand and keep up to date with changing business needs, evaluate the impact of these changes, and support a range of stakeholders. The role will include working closely with environmental specialists, project managers and digital teams, developing strategies to support overall service and solution needs and detailing requirements through presenting ideas and reporting as required.
The role will require successful relationship building across the business and with our range of clients, adapting to different cultural and political expectations, flexibly working to meet different demands. The ideal candidate will be very strong technically and may have a software development background.
As an IT consultant you will exhibit strong interpersonal and communication skills to deal effectively with clients on an international scale. You’ll be a confident and articulate technology consultant, used to working with clients who are seeking help and advice about business and IT problems. You’ll thrive on keeping abreast of the latest technology developments and be recognised as the informed partner for the different stakeholders you work with.
Tasks will include:
- consulting staff from different parts of a client's organisation.
- analysing an organisation’s data.
- determining information system requirements and defining project objectives.
- making recommendations, such as suggesting appropriate hardware, software and systems.
- designing, installing and trialling new systems and software.
- compiling and presenting information.
- writing reports and documentation.
- training users.
- responding to feedback.
- A flexible attitude to working patterns is required as travel and periods of working away from home are to be expected.
- Writing bids and proposals.
- Gaining a solid understanding of the business and how Digital Services knit into the business framework.
- Able to create a network of contacts, upsell and build longstanding relationships.
Key skills required:
- Meticulous approach to work.
- Attention to detail.
- Capable of meeting high standards.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Analytical and technical skills.
- Effective time management skills to meet deadlines.
- The ability to work under pressure.
- The ability to multi-task.
- Interpersonal and communication skills when dealing with clients.
- Creative thinker.
- Software development background is desired but not essential if the knowledge and understanding is there.
- Ability to articulate the technical to non-technical audiences.
- Understanding and experience working in Agile (scrum) teams.
- Adaptable to different cultural and political backgrounds.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees to ensure an inclusive culture, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.