Associate Director - Environment
- Role type
- Closing Date
Role: Associate Director – Environment
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Role ID: 2022-1684
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a highly experienced Environmental Science professional to lead and direct a wide range of exciting and innovative Environmental Science, and Environmental Advisory and Approvals projects in our Environment team based in Melbourne.
This is an opportunity for you to take the next step in your career and be at the forefront of establishing an international brand in the Australian market, whilst leveraging an internationally respected business.
Drawing on Ricardo’s focus on innovation you will be involved in a broad range of projects focused on Contaminated Land, Renewable Energy, Waste to Energy, Environmental Infrastructure, Infrastructure Sustainability and Environmental Sustainability, working across both the public and private sectors.
- Identify and secure new client opportunities.
- Lead projects as the main contact for the project team from initial project phase through to delivery.
- Act as the technical lead on complex consultancy proposals and projects.
- Coordinate with other project consultants and the wider team to determine best practice outcomes and deliver a finished product in accordance with service requirements.
- Prepare reports for all stages of the project from conception to completion.
- Attend client meetings to manage projects according to Ricardo’s scope of services.
- Conduct presentations of proposals for prospective clients and/or projects.
- Report any project issues to the Project Manager or Managing Director so that client relations can be addressed early.
- Lead and manage a team of consultants, supporting their growth and development.
Key competencies and experience
- Minimum 12-15 years’ experience in a consulting environment.
- Tertiary qualification in Environmental Science, Earth Sciences or equivalent. An appreciation of other disciplines e.g., Ecology, Hydrogeology, Cultural Heritage would be advantageous.
- Strong commercial acumen and proven business development skills; coupled with a track record of identifying and securing new consultancy work.
- Experience supporting and leading complex proposals and projects.
- Extensive experience collaborating with diverse stakeholders/audiences and facilitating agreement between conflicting parties.
- Proven experience leading high performing teams.
- A strong network of client contacts across Victoria.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 programs.
Skills and behaviours
- Well-developed customer service capabilities, able to build strong relationships both internally and externally.
- Exceptional listening, verbal and written communication skills.
- Well-developed emotional intelligence.
- Team player who is willing to get involved, supporting colleagues to solve problems and facilitate solutions.
- Mentoring and coaching capability to assist in the development of junior members of the team.
- Adaptability and willingness to learn.
- Self-motivated with a desire to achieve high standards.
- Flexible approach, with a willingness and ability to work on a wide range of projects.
- Embrace Ricardo’s values of Create Together, Be Innovative, Aim High, Be Mindful and aim to lead others towards high standards of behaviour and performance.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have drive, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programs and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance program.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.