Hydrometry and Water Quality Consultant
- Role type
- Bristol, Oxfordshire (Harwell), London
- Closing Date
Role: Hydrometry and Water Quality Consultant
Location: Hybrid – commutable to either Bristol, Harwell or Paddington
Salary range: £25,000 - £40,000 per annum plus benefits
Role ID: 1668
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a Hydrometry and Water Quality Consultant to join our Water Practice.
- Much of our work is for water companies, but also covers wider infrastructure projects for developers and airports, where hydrometry and water quality data is essential to assess risk and support mitigations work.
- The successful candidate will work across our water, ecology and environmental impact assessment teams, where hydrometric data can help with the understanding of baseline characteristic and change to support management options.
- There is also the opportunity to work with other parts of our business with the aim of helping to develop a portfolio of projects where hydrometric expertise can complement other environmental assessments.
- Data processing, analysis, interpretation and visualisation.
- Data collation through water quality sondes, current meters, Acoustic Doppler Current Profilers (ADCP), borehole sampling, telemetry systems.
- Management, QA, analysis and interpretation of hydrology and water datasets.
- Monitoring programme coordination.
Key competencies and experience
- Bachelors (2.1 or above) and ideally a post graduate degree in a relevant subject.
- Understanding of the UK water industry.
- Flow gauging and water quality data collection experience.
- Experience of coordinating monitoring programmes, installation and maintenance of continuous monitoring equipment, and reviewing and interpreting water quality and hydrometric data.
- Ability to fault find and problem solve in challenging environments.
- Effective report writing skills.
- Ability to interpret data trends and spot erroneous data and sensor drift– excellent analytical skills
- A full UK driving licence.
Skills and behaviours
- Excellent team working.
- Strong communication skills and a close attention to detail.
- Enthusiastic, keen to learn and able to act quickly and flexible across projects.
- Excellent report writing.
- Ambitious, enthusiastic and self-motivated to thrive in this busy and demanding environment.
- Good IT skills commonly used software, e.g., Microsoft Office, Internet, email and GIS.
- Experience of leading survey teams in challenging river and estuarine environments.
- Water safety training.
- GIS skills.
- Training in the use of handheld power tools.
- A powerboat licence.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.