Technical Director - Waste and Resource Management
- Role type
- Full time, Part time
- Closing Date
Role: Technical Director - Waste and Resource Management
Location: UK Flexible
Role ID: 2022-1666
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Energy & Environment, one of Ricardo plc’s five operating business units, is a leader in sustainability consultancy, solving complex environmental challenges through industry-leading analysis, advice and data. With more than 40 years of heritage in addressing air quality, environmental and sustainability issues, our customers value us for our deep understanding and breadth of services covering the entire value chain from evidence, policy & strategy to implementation.
We are currently looking for a Technical Director - WTS to join our Waste & Resource Management Team.
Ricardo Energy & Environment’s Waste & Resource Management (WaRM) business area provides a wide range of consultancy services to the waste management industry. One of our core service areas is waste infrastructure, providing technical due diligence, owners engineer and expert witness amongst other technical advisory services.
We require an outstanding individual to join the Waste Technical Services (WTS) team within the WaRM business area of our Sustainable Infrastructure and Operations (SI&O) practice, bringing their knowledge and experience to provide direction and oversight to the range of highly technical waste infrastructure projects being undertaken by the team, both in the UK and around the world.
This senior role will play a critical part in the successful delivery of technical support services to a number of waste infrastructure projects, both in the UK and abroad and will therefore involve the need to travel The ideal candidate will have strong technical credentials with the ability to lead, inspire and develop engineers, whilst also being client facing and promoting the Ricardo brand as a center of technical excellence. They will work alongside the WTS team leader and the WaRM Business Area Manger to achieve the growth objectives of the business through the delivery of orders and profitable work with respect to technical support to clients and ensuring maximum commercial and technical effectiveness and efficiency is maintained. They will also offer market insight and knowledge and contribute to the BA strategy as well as its successful delivery.
The successful candidate will be involved in work that makes the most of their expertise and experience, including due diligence and feasibility projects, expert witness support, market and technology reviews and the procurement of waste infrastructure for public and private sector clients (both in the UK and internationally).
- Reporting to the WTS Team Leader within the WaRM business area of Ricardo Energy & Environment’s SI&O practice.
- Provide leadership and promote a high-performance team culture.
- Contribute to the development of an engineering team and culture that delivers best in class technical engineering support services to global waste markets.
- Ownership of key accounts or territories, with responsibility for overseeing a portfolio of projects to ensure consistency in delivery and high quality deliverables and seeking insights with a view to securing an ongoing pipeline of repeat work.
- Provide oversight and governance of project processes and standards to meet the expectations of Ricardo internally and also those of our clients.
- Actively engage in developing complex technical projects from concept through to implementation and take-over.
- Drive ongoing growth within developed and developing waste markets across the UK domestic and international arena by identifying new offerings, gaining market insights and supporting the development of leads and opportunities.
- Assist with scoping and planning of projects in bids, ensuring that the client’s needs and overarching objectives are understood, as well as the opportunity and the risks, in order to avoid any potential expectation gap between service delivery and service sold.
- Encourage cross discipline collaboration with other internal and external staff members.
Key competencies and experience related to
- Experience of working in similar engineering support functions and teams.
- Overseeing of complete lifecycle engineering support and complex waste infrastructure projects.
- Nurturing and development of junior engineers to fulfil potential.
- Experience of bidding for projects within a consultancy environment.
- Ensure compliance with commensurate internal processes and external standards and regulations.
- Understanding and experience of delivering detailed technical studies within the bounds of defined contracts and specifications.
- Knowledge of waste treatment and management technologies.
- Knowledge of regulatory framework for the delivery of infrastructure projects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, attention to detail and desire to deliver to the highest standards for all outputs whether written, presentational, or delivery, and conversed in face-to-face meetings with new and current clients.
- Producing, reviewing, verifying and approving technical Scopes of Work, assessing tender returns, then checking/assessing and/or approving the outputs to ensure that requirements are met.
- Feeding back lessons learnt for use on other projects.
- Good knowledge of coordination and integration of multi-disciplinary engineering systems.
- Constructive and proactive communication skills – verbal, written, and visual.
Skills and behaviours
- Willingness and ability to work oversees for periods of time (typically 1-2 weeks) as required by the project work in hand, in particular in Saudi Arabia and UAE
- Clearly demonstrable leadership skills with an ability to develop strategic plans.
- Substantial experience within engineering delivery for waste infrastructure projects.
- Excellent project management understanding and delivery within recognizable systems such as APM.
- Chartered Engineer and qualified within relevant engineering field.
- Broad experience in the design, installation, and commissioning of process systems.
- Good working knowledge of current legislation, standards and practices in process engineering systems.
- Ability to work to deadlines, under pressure and on own initiative.Evidence of continuing professional development and an ongoing commitment to undertake training and studies to meet the demands of both current and future legislation relating to the design of process / mechanical designs and building services.
- Possess good written and oral communication skills, and the ability to communicate well at all levels and be able to control certain financial aspects of contracts and/or projects.
- Experience in the planning, organising and control of sub-contractors, be able to provide services to agreed standards, time scales and budgets.
- High attention to detail demonstrating accuracy and quality in all work.
- The post holder should possess a current valid driving licence.
Highly Desirable (but not essential)
- Postgraduate degree qualified.
- Professional membership within relevant field.
- Experience of Quality systems to BS EN ISO 9001.
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing and work life balance
We offer flexible approaches to work, whether that's working from home, being in the office, or as a hybrid worker. We're happy to discuss flexible working arrangements. Wellbeing is at the core to our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including flexible working, carers policy, mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.