Chemical Safety Advisor/Emergency Responder
- Role type
- Closing Date
Role: Chemical Safety Advisor/Emergency Responder
Location: Harwell, Oxfordshire
Salary range: £25,500 - £35,000 plus shift allowance
Role ID: 1649
Our vision is to create a safe and sustainable world
Ricardo plc is a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company, listed on the London Stock Exchange. With over 100 years of engineering excellence and employing close to 3,000 employees in more than 20 countries, we provide exceptional levels of expertise in delivering leading-edge and innovative cross-sector sustainable products and solutions. Every day, we enable our customers to solve the most complex and dynamic challenges to help achieve a safe and sustainable world.
Established in 1973, the National Chemical Emergency Centre (NCEC) was set up to provide emergency response support to incidents involving hazardous chemicals. Over the past 50 years we have developed an in-depth knowledge of the global chemical marketplace. Our knowledge and expertise places us in a unique position to understand and support our customers manage chemical and wider business risk – from emergency response to supply and transport regulations.
We have a global understanding of issues relating to chemical safety and legislation, built through many years of horizon scanning and response to policy. Our regulatory insight and strong international networks inform our global regulatory knowledge base.
We are currently looking for a Chemical Safety Advisor to join our NCEC (National Chemical Emergency Response Centre) team.
The NCEC has built up a reputation as one of the world’s leading chemical emergency response centres. This is based on the proficiency, technical expertise and efficiency of our Emergency Response team. Our aim is to further enhance our reputation both within the UK and increasingly overseas, providing our customers with an unrivalled quality of service that meets all of their chemical emergency response needs.
- To provide crucial 24/7 telephone-based Emergency Response information to callers dealing with chemical emergency incidents.
- Callers to the service may be emergency services, chemical and transport companies, members of the public and others, both in the UK and abroad.
- Aside from the provision of emergency advice to callers, the post-holder will contribute to NCECs other services including software and consultancy projects. The role also has potential for exposure to various other technical consultancy work and all aspects of project management. Depending on the successful candidate’s capabilities and interests.
- This opportunity will be interesting and challenging, suiting individuals with motivation and enthusiasm to drive and champion emergency response work. As well developing consultancy capabilities through varied project work.
- You will be responsible for working as part of a team in providing 24/7 professional telephone response giving critical advice as part of our emergency response service offering and providing written correspondence to the customer.
- You will be contributing to the development of NCEC products, which could involve software development, product management or consultancy work depending on your capabilities and interests.
Key competencies and experience
- The ideal candidate will have a scientific, technical or engineering background coupled with excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Degree or equivalent in Chemistry or related scientific / engineering degree supported by A-Level Chemistry qualification.
- Knowledge of chemistry, hazardous materials and/or response to incidents involving hazardous goods. Interpretation of Safety Data Sheets (SDS)
- The ability to function effectively while under pressure and dealing with emergency calls
- Willing and able to provide the necessary 24-hour cover in working in a rotating shift pattern
- Experience of working in a customer facing or account management role.
Skills and behaviours
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to use own initiative, whilst working as part of a team
- A strong logical approach but the ability also to think laterally
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work and you have the opportunity to make a difference. You will work with teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Alongside having a fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development. We are always keen to hear from people who have driven, ambition and a flair for innovative thinking.
Wellbeing is at the core of our culture, allowing employees to flourish and to achieve their full potential. Our People are important to us, and we take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals including mental health first aiders and readily available support through our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion statement
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours. We have an ambitious diversity, equality, and inclusion approach as explained here. We value diversity; recognising that a more diverse workforce creates a richer and more varied working environment. Diversity also drives innovation, by allowing us to offer our clients the best consultancy service that we can. As part of our commitment to engage positively and pro-actively with all our employees and ensure a culture of inclusivity, we are a recognised as a 'disability confident' employer.
Our core benefits include, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle. Once you have submitted your application a member of our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Please be aware that the timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications that we receive for each role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.