Chemical Emergency Responder (Chemistry Graduate, Office Based)
- Role type
- Closing Date
Role: Chemical Emergency Responder (Chemistry Graduate, Office Based)
Location: Harwell, Oxfordshire
Salary range: £25,000 - £30,000 plus shift allowance
Role ID: 1649
Do you want to work for a company whose vision is to create a safe and sustainable world?
Ricardo is a global community of engineers, economists, scientists, consultants and business services professionals, working across a multitude of markets to enable our customers to solve the most complex challenges facing the realisation of a safe and sustainable world.
As part of Ricardo, the National Chemical Emergency Centre (NCEC) delivers on this vision by providing real-time advice and support to incidents involving hazardous chemicals. Additionally, our team of chemistry, emergency response (ER) and regulatory professionals provide the chemical sector with a range of services to support the safe and sustainable management of chemicals.
We are currently looking for a Chemical Emergency Responder to join our ER team at NCEC.
Who are we looking for?
- Candidates with a passion for chemistry, who are looking outside of the lab, for an interesting and challenging role that protects people and our environment.
- Those with a strong logical approach, who can think critically and laterally to solve problems.
- Individuals motivated by working autonomously with responsibility, who have the drive to independently solve challenges and progress their own careers.
- Candidates able to make use of their verbal and written communication skills to provide excellent customer service, whilst communicating scientific concepts accurately.
- Those willing and able to work a rotating shift pattern, to provide the necessary 24-hour availability of the ER services.
What qualifications or experience should you have?
- A degree or equivalent in Chemistry, or a related scientific / engineering degree supported by an A-Level Chemistry qualification.
- Experience working in a customer facing or technical chemistry focused role is desirable, but those without, should not be discouraged from applying.
What will be your responsibilities?
- You will provide chemical advice and information over the phone to callers dealing with incidents such as chemical reactions, fires, spillages, and exposures.
- You will be responsible for maintaining uptime and availability of the NCEC’s continuous 24/7 ER services, during your shift.
- You will communicate directly with our customers in the chemical sector in relation to the incidents handled, by telephone and written report.
- You will work on projects to support and develop the ER services, in addition to other NCEC other services within our technical consultancy area.
- Over time you will be expected to develop a strong understanding of level 1 chemical emergency response and grow your chemical and product safety knowledge.
- You will be expected to actively drive your own career development, whilst being supported by your team leader, in areas such as but not limited to: ER, chemical consultancy, team leadership, project management or business services.
Want to work here?
Ricardo is an exciting and rewarding place to work where you have an opportunity to make a difference.
You will work alongside teams of talented, dedicated, and supportive individuals. Plus, you will have the fantastic opportunity to develop your career with us through our broad range of projects, mentoring opportunities and a personalised approach to your learning and development.
Our People are important to us. We take pride in our wellbeing programmes and policies that support individuals, including mental health first aiders and our extensive Employee Assistance programme.
Diversity, equality, and inclusion are core to our culture, learn about this in detail here:
Ricardo is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested in benefits?
Our core benefits include, a competitive company pension scheme, life assurance and professional subscriptions reimbursement. We also offer a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
Ready to apply?
After submitting your application our Recruitment Team will be in touch. Timing can vary dependent on the volume of applications received for the role and in some cases, we may start to review applications prior to the closing date.